Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Retro Reflection: Ace of Base-Unspeakable



Aside from Roxette, Ace of Base is one of the few 90's bands that I don't put under the classification of a guilty pleasure.

Because there's nothing guilty about it, I enjoy them just as much today as I did when I was a teenager. Which is a rarity since my music tastes have changed quite a bit over the years.

I think it's because they have the same kind of charm that ABBA did (and still does) though the members of Ace of Base aren't fond of the comparison.

Mostly because they want to be thought of as different.

And though there is a significant destinction I do tend to describe Ace of Base as ABBA with a much more modern look and sound but very similar catchy riffs and melodies.

The song above is a perfect example of the bands ability to make a simple refrain into a great catchy tune.

Who knew that the words "unspeakable" and "na na na na " could be so addictive *lol*.

I've often mentioned that I'm generally not a fan of Dance music (Euro pop) whatever you wanna call it, but Ace of Base is another big exception.

If you haven't heard about this great band (and I would honestly be shocked if you haven't) you can check out their official website www.aceofbase.com to learn more.

Also for anyone who's interested the above song is from Ace of Base's Da Capo album released only in Europe.

No comments: