Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Martina Hingis nostalgia, Liverpool Exhibition Event

Ok, I admit it I've been slacking off a bit with the posts this month. But I'm back today with a real treat for all the Martina Hingis fans out there (at least I think so).

Back in June of this year, I blogged about Martina's Liverpool Exhibition match against Jana Novatna and I included some nice pics to go with it.

Well, now I have something a hundred times better thanks to hingis.org I was able to find video from the event. So here it is in three parts, enjoy ;).







Seriously how much fun is this to watch?, usually when you watch a tennis match it's all very reserved with both players not displaying much emotion until the end of a point (or in most cases not at all).

But with this being an exhibition, both of them were completely relaxed, teasing each other, before during, and after almost every point.

I'm not sure what was more fun, the mutual teasing or the constant interaction with the crowd. The extreme respect (due to a long history with one another) didn't hurt the atmosphere either.

This is a side of Martina that all the fans know and love, goofing around, making jibes, and glib comments, having loads of fun on court, at the same time able to remain very focused and fiercely competitive throughout.

It's a side rarely demonstrated by the current players of the WTA. Demonstrating those human emotions and reactions at all times is what still sets her apart from all the other competitors (and the reason why I just haven't been able to feel as passionate about any of the up and coming tennis athletes).

The nostalgia really set in as I watched Hingis make all those crafty flawless volleys at the net, *sigh* I miss the days when no one had heard of the Williams sisters and the power game was virtually none existent.

Sadly with the departure of Justine Henin volleying and net attacking has basically become a thing of the past, a dying art really.

Every time I watch Hingis play it reminds me why I fell in love with this sport in the first place, and why no matter how much time passes (and how many new faces emerge) I will always miss her on the tour.

No comments: