Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Across the Universe Review


I raved about this movie several times last year. Well, I finally bought the dvd (which came out today), and I have to say it was even better then I expected.

Since I have already expressed my love for the soundtrack in one of my previous posts, I will talk about my favourite scenes and impressions of the movie instead.

The combination of 3-D visual effects, puppetry and dance give it a great theatrical feel. And of course it doesn't hurt that Julie Taymor actually comes from the theatre. The underwater kiss, sliding in the bowling alley, and the army recruitment scene were among my absolute favourites (superb choreography and visual effects).

The fact that all the actors sing the songs live (instead pre-recorded lip-syncing) provided a real emotional depth and really helped to sell the movie and it's characters. Jim Sturge's (Jude) voice makes you believe in everything he's singing.

Joe Anderson (Max), despite not being a singer (like most the cast) does a marvelous job. I've listened to his version of "Hey Jude" over a hundred times now and I still can't get enough. Both these guys voices posses a sort of raw venerability that just draws you in.

As for the women I really liked the contrast between the soft soothing tones of Evan Rachel Wood (Lucy) and the raspy Janis Joplin-like quality of Dana Fuchs (Sadie).

The only scene in the film I wasn't really fond of was the circus bit. Although it looked visually stunning and artistic, it felt unnecessary. I don't know, I didn't really get it.

Before I saw this movie I read a lot of mixed reviews a lot of people said they walked out either at the beginning or middle of the film. And a lot of them apparently walked out during "Dear Prudence". Which I really don't know why since that number was absolutely awesome.

I honestly don't know what's wrong with those people, the singing was superb. I guess some people are real sticklers for originals, (especially when it comes to the Beatles).

There were also a lot of people who complained the movie didn't have much of a plot. It does, but since it's a musical the plot is loosely entwined in the songs.

Actually the focus is more on themes, like love, peace, etc. I think if the movie had a separate plot along with the songs it would have been a completely different animal, not too mention extremely long lol. So I prefer this version.

I honestly can't say enough about this film, simply put it's a mastery of visuals and music. So if you haven't seen it yet (shame on you), go out and rent it!. I guarantee it's one you'll enjoy again and again.

No comments: