Thursday, August 09, 2007

Another early exit for Hingis



hingis.org

It seems Martina's rotten luck continues this year with another disappointing loss at the East West Bank Classic in L.A. This time to 30th ranked Sania Mirza in another 3 setter.

Although to be honest I don't know why so many Hingis fans are surprised by her losses. It's sort of understandable with her not playing much due to those nagging injuries.

And I'm sure the constant losses must be getting frustrating for her too, doesn't really help the confidence factor.

It's gotta be hard to stay mentally tough with all the recent losses as well, but of course lack of match play is also to blame.

I think Hingis will probably spend the rest of this year trying to get back into the swing of things, maybe figuring out some different strategies.

Hopefully playing doubles at East Bank with Hantuchova will give her some of that much needed confidence.

And I really hope she reconsiders withdrawing from the Roger's Cup. The tournament just wouldn't be the same without her in it. I also don't think withdrawing from this tournament will make that much of a difference in terms of the U.S. Open in September.

I actually think it would help her, giving her plenty of real match play. Which is as Martina herself often says much better then any on-court training session. So until I hear otherwise I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this weekend.


No comments: