Thursday, October 19, 2006

Martina moves on to the quarters in Zurich

Well, thanks to a member on hingis.org I was able to watch all of Martina's matches so far. So thanks again for the upload;). Anyway I'll get on with the summery now. The best way I can describe this match is in two words totally weird . And you'll understand why I say that later on.

The first set started out ok, if not a bit sluggish with no long rallies and both players slowly finding their rhythm. There were no breaks in the first 4 games of the match. Though surprisingly it was Dechy who won the opening point, it's usually the opposite.

At 2 all Natalie Dechy made a bunch of unforced errors giving Hingis the break, Martina followed up with some unforced errors of her own (on her serve) allowing Dechy to even things out at 3 games a piece. There was a sea-saw effect through out the first set actually.

Hingis finally got the break on the 3rd deuce (lost a 40/0 lead). She then held her serve and went up to 5/3 closing the set out at 6/3.

I was actually really surprised how little she came to the net in the first set, especially since Dechy is not great in that area. It's something that she remedied in the second set along with mixing up her game a lot more which she also wasn't doing before. The second set is when things really got going.

Hingis won her service game and the break to go up 2/0. After that she totally got into a groove and cruised to a 5/0 lead. But instead of closing the match out, she made a bunch of unforced errors and seemed to have lost a lot of her concentration. Which allowed her opponent to break and win back 3 games. She had trouble closing out the 2nd set, but was finally able to do it on the 3rd match point. Winning the whole thing in two 6/3 6/3.

So a shaky performance at the end but a win is a win and she moves on. Her next real challenge could be Svetlana Kuznetsova. That should be a hell of a match if it happens.

Also I don't think I have mentioned this yet, but as I was watching the match I noticed some key changes between Martina circa 1990's and the Martina of now. Her ground strokes have gotten a lot deeper and when she wants to she can use a lot more power on them. Her serve (at least her 1st serve) has also improved slightly, I've noticed she bends her knees a lot more now. Those are just little things I forgot to mention so I thought I would just throw it in here;).

I have to also add that I am a bit concerned she's still having these lapses in concentration, and is unable to close out matches cleanly. Hopefully we won't see that in her next match because frankly that's something she cannot afford against any of the remaining players. I do think however that part of it is the lack of challenge so far in this tournament.

I know that when she's pressured from the get go she does a lot better and doesn't have these lapses. I can't wait to see her play someone like Kuznetsova because I'm certain that's when she'll really raise her game. It's something she always does the bigger the challenge the better her game.

I'm wishing her all the luck in her next one, should be a lot more entertaining then these 2 have been.

No comments: