Sunday, November 19, 2017

Roger Federer reveals plans for holiday break after loss to Goffin at ATP World Tour Finals

Federer was playing in his 14th semi-final at the season-ending tournament but lost for just the fourth time, Goffin triumphing 2-6, 6-3, 6-4.

The Swiss dismissed claims that he was carrying an injury into the match but did admit he would be taking time away from the game after a long season.

“I’ll probably take two weeks off, two weeks' vacation,” Federer said.

“I feel like it's what we always need at the end of the season, not just myself, but my wife as well, and my kids, too.


“We all need to spend some family time together. We love that.

“Most important time of our lives, to spend the time together like that.”

Federer, father of four, took the second half of 2016 off to deal with knee and back injuries, returning to win two more Grand Slams this year.

He will end the year as world No 2, the oldest man ever to do so at 36, but the plans for his return in 2018 are already set with January’s Australian Open the first major target.


“I’ll start the beginning of December my training again,” Federer added.

“Maybe on vacation, obviously I'll start moving around a little bit so the comeback into training is not so hard, you know.

“Then I leave at the end of the year for the Hopman Cup to get ready.

“I think I'm playing on the 30th [of December], my first match. That's the plan there.”

No comments: