Thursday, November 30, 2017

Martina Hingis tips rise of more Swiss greats

Martina Hingis expects great things from the next generation of Swiss superstars.

Martina Hingis might be heading into retirement, marking it with a big farewell party - but she predicts great things from the next generation of Swiss tennis stars.

In an interview with Swiss newspaper Blick, the Co-World No.1 in doubles praised compatriots Roger Federer and Stan Wawrinka for their performances at the top of the men's game, and added: "We are very spoilt. But there are still some to come: Timea [Bacsinszky] and Belinda [Bencic] are great."

Federer had paid generous tribute to Hingis when she announced her intention to retire, calling her an inspiration, and she responded: "I was very happy, it was a nice compliment. But it was also the truth. In certain ways I was a pioneer, winning a Grand Slam as a young Swiss. That makes it easier for the next ones."

The 37-year-old expressed her grief about the death of her former doubles partner Jana Novotna, who passed away in November at the age of 49.

"We saw each other in February, I also invited her to my farewell. I'm very sad."

Hingis is now looking forward to the future and fresh opportunities in her life after tennis.

"I'm really looking forward to the next stage of my life," she said. "A lot of people tell me the best is coming now. I'm certainly not bored."

No comments: