Thursday, November 02, 2017

Martina Hingis' heartfelt thank you, but not goodbye to the sport and her fans on Facebook










Hi Everyone!

Now that the cat is out of the bag, here we are for the third, and final time. Looking back now, it's hard to believe that almost exactly 23 years ago I made my professional debut. The years that followed have been some of the most rewarding years of my life, both personally and professionally, but I believe the time has come for me to retire, which I will be doing after my last match here in Singapore.

I feel very lucky to have been given the opportunity to play this wonderful sport for so many years. Tennis has always been my passion and I am extremely thankful for all the challenges, opportunities, partnerships and friendships it's given me. I am especially grateful for all the support from my mom who has taught me this beautiful game. 

Thanks to all the sponsors, partners, fellow players, and everyone else that helps make our hectic life on tour easier. Thank you to my team, friends and family for continuously motivating and inspiring me. And of course thank you to all my fans - you were there to support and lift me up in hard times and celebrated alongside me in days of triumph. You, and the love for the game, is what kept me coming back all those years!


This isn't a goodbye. As history shows, I haven't been able to stay away from tennis for long in the past, and I am looking forward to seeing what new opportunities and challenges lie ahead of me. I believe the best is yet to come and will continue to share my experiences with you!

With love and appreciation, your Martina



Martina Hingis Official Facebook


It's so hard for me to describe my emotions about this announcement.  I knew this day was coming, but just like with Federer you always think they'll be around forever even though the rational part of your brain knows it's impossible.

 I still remember watching her play for the first time as a 16 year old in 1997 ( I was 15 myself). 

Running around hitting amazing shots at the net, seemingly not intimidated by any of her opponents. 

Thank you for introducing me and making me fall in love with this wonderful sport Martina.  I will be forever grateful to you for that.  

Congrats on an amazing 2017 and on an outstanding career.  Your are a legend.   Tennis won't be the same without you. 

You've been my idol since I was a teenager myself, and you will be greatly missed!.  Good luck on whatever life endeavors you choose to take on next.

No comments: