Sunday, March 07, 2010

Academy Awards impressions

Another year, another night of Oscar fever.

And unlike the past few years the show returned to it's rightful place in the month of March (seriously I can't be the only one who thought it was weird to have the Academy Awards in February).

It was a night full of surprises perhaps the biggest of which was the horrible comedy (sorry Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin) but I'm sure you figured out how badly you were bombing by the lack of laughs.

There has been plenty of hit and miss comedy at the Oscars over the years, but I think it's safe to say that this one takes the cake as the cream of the crap.

Seriously whoever wrote the material should either quit, or be fired. When I first heard about the 2 host idea I actually thought it would work, boy was I wrong!.

But I honestly think the material is really at fault. Needless to say I doubt the Oscars will be trying this idea again in the future.

In fact I hope they don't. Stick to what works and clearly individual hosts work best (or if you're going do a dual hosting gig get some better writers and comedians with better timing).

But enough of that, on to the show itself. I had a feeling this would be the year where The Academy overlooks the status quo and predictability of giving awards to the most buzzed about motion pictures.

Who am I kidding, I was hoping for it! *lol*. It was a total and complete surprise to actually have it come true.

My guess is that The Academy has acquired a lot of younger members in recent years thus this wonderfully refreshing result.

How great was it to finally have the first woman actually win the first film director award (to say it's about time would be an understatement!).

Perhaps it's a sign that the times really are changing in that regard (may there be many more to come!). James Cameron eat your heart out!.

Perhaps the biggest pleasant shocker of the night came when Sandra Bullock won the best actress award for "The Blind Side".

What a way to finally acknowledge not only Sandy's overall talent, but her dramatic skills as well. Seriously who else was expecting to hear Meryl Streep, or Helen Mirren?.

Even Sandra herself couldn't believe it, in fact when the camera cut to her it took her a good minute to register that she had actually won.

I don't think she realized it until the person sitting next to her whispered it in her ear. Great moment.

Sandra Bullock dethroned the reigning queen (Meryl Streep) in the best dramatic actress category who would have thunk it!. Congrats Sandy!.

It was great seeing the animated feature Up garner so many awards as well (if you haven't seen it yet go out and rent it!).

It's a wonderfully poignant and heart-warming story.

Lovely tribute to Mr. John Hughes. I don't think there will ever be a director/writer who understood the mind of a teenager (and young people) as well as him.

I always get so sad when I watch the memoriam part of the Oscars it's such a bittersweet reminder of so much great talent lost way too soon.

The show once again run it's usual 3.30 hours, but did it feel longer to anyone else?.

Could have been due to the continued failed comedy bits throughout. About the only highlight out of the whole thing was Neil Patrick Harris's musical number.

Btw. what's with him being on everyone's list of emergency award show numbers lately? (I'm not complaining) just an observation.

Actually after watching the first 5 minutes of Steve and Alec I kept hoping Neil would come back and do the entire thing!.

Something to think about for next year Oscar organizers ;).

ETA: Major In Memoriam FAIL someone completely forgot Farrah Fawcett and Bea Arthur.

No comments: