Thursday, October 22, 2009

Martina Hingis still a 'no' to 2nd career comeback


The 29-year old Hingis, who retired after getting a two-year ban in 2007 for testing positive for cocaine, said Tuesday in an interview with L’Equipe that she is happy with her new life.

“I’ve got a nice house, my four horses,” Hingis said. “On the tour, I had no life.”

Hingis added that even without being tested positive, she likely would have retired.

“If I had won the four Grand Slam tournaments, maybe I would have continued,” she said. “But I was on downslope. And I was suspended for two years, and that was it.”

Hingis, who spent 209 weeks at No. 1 in the women’s rankings and won five Grand Slam singles titles, said she went through hard times during her suspension.

“I didn’t have the right to play any competition, even in another Olympic sport,” she said. “I didn’t have the right to feature in equestrian competition, even at an amateur level. … I’m not sure I have completely recovered.”

Hingis tested positive for cocaine after a third-round exit at Wimbledon in 2007. She denied using the drug.

Hingis said she learned that her suspension was over on Sept. 30—her birthday—a few days after undergoing a doping test at her home.

“They thought maybe, like you, that I was planning a second comeback,” she said.

Hingis quit tennis for the first time in 2002 because of foot and leg injuries. When she returned to the circuit in 2006, Hingis reached two Grand Slam quarterfinals, won two smaller tournaments and finished the year at No. 7.

Source: yahoo sports

Another article confirming yet again what we already know.

I don't know why people keep asking her this since she's stated so many times now she has absolutely no desire to comeback to the WTA.

I guess even journalists can become hopelessly devoted fans who live in denial-ville lol. Can't blame them though, I'm not quite over the hope myself even though I know it's futile.

I think until the WTA line-up improves dramatically people are always gonna want Hingis back.

Thank goodness for Kim Clijsters :).

Also side note: Martina reached #6 before she retired, all the articles seem to always get that wrong.

No comments: