Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Kim Clijsters wins doubles in Luxembourg


LUXEMBOURG, Luxembourg - Three seeded players took the courts in singles but the biggest buzz came in doubles on Day 1 as Kim Clijsters played her first match of any kind since her dream run at the US Open.

Playing as a wildcard duo with fellow Belgian Kirsten Flipkens, Clijsters was still on fire from her second career Grand Slam singles title, beating unseeded British-American duo Sarah Borwell and Raquel Kops-Jones handily, 62 60, to move into the quarterfinals of the team competition.

"It's fun and exciting to be back on court," Clijsters told reporters afterwards. "It took some time to adjust to the indoor court with the lights and the roof, but I'm happy to be here. It's so much fun to play doubles before my singles. I really like playing here. I won my first tournament here 10 years ago and I love coming back. I like the club atmosphere, it makes it all so easy."

Playing as an unranked wildcard at Flushing Meadows this year, Clijsters blew through the field, beating both Williams sisters en route to the final and then dispatching Caroline Wozniacki for the title. Clijsters is the No.2 seed in singles in Luxembourg; Wozniacki is No.1. Both play their first round matches in the individual discipline Tuesday at the BGL Luxembourg Open.

Source: Sony Ericsson WTA Tour

No comments: