Monday, October 05, 2009

DWTS 9: Week 3 Samba & Rumba

Tonight it was time for two of my favourite dance styles. I did find it odd that everyone was being asked to do the most difficult dances so early in the competition.

It worked out better for some, then it did for others.

Lacey & Mark were the first to hit the floor tonight with a somewhat lackluster Rumba, Bruno felt that it lacked romance and couple chemistry, and I have to agree.

I wouldn't exactly call it "uncomfortable" as Carrie Ann said, but I saw more sparks between them in their very first dance then I did in this one.

Since chemistry is an integral part of the Rumba they suffered score wise with only 18/30.

Despite this weeks weak performance I hope they don't get eliminated, because I still enjoy them.

I think Mark could do better in the latin round, and I really want to see him do the Paso Doble.

Joanna & Derek danced to a song that kept repeating the word sexy. That's about how I would describe their Samba, but I would also add sizzling hot!.

And I don't know about the rest of America, but I never get tired of seeing that man in a tight fitting shirt and pants. Plus his hip movement could give Elvis a run for his money!.

The scores didn't seem to reflect my enthusiasm however, and they only received 23/30. Too bad I thought they deserved a little more especially compared to all the other couples Samba's.

With the exception of Mya, Derek and Joanna were the only ones remotely exciting, the rest were mediocre.

Speaking of, Mya & Dmitry performed a very fluid, sensual Rumba that turned out to be the best one of the night. Garnering them the highest score of the night 27/30 (and the first two 10's of the season).

Are we sure that Mya has had no former dance training?, because it certainly isn't looking that way at the moment.

She kinda put everyone else to shame, and confidently forged ahead of the pack.

Mark & Melissa were next with their Samba. Mark finally got a bit tougher with Melissa in training rehearsal this week, and it showed.

She's making some steady progress, but still lacking a lot of free movement (with the legs) at times which unfortuntely is crucial for a Samba.

So the dance once again started out well, but fizzled out by the end. Still a good effort though. With 19/30 the fans might decide to keep her around for another week.

Chelsie & Louie the snow boarder got in touch with his romantic side dancing a very solid Rumba. With plenty of sparks.

Seriously, did anyone else notice the real-life chemistry between the 2 in the training footage?. A future hook-up in the works if you ask me.

The cuteness factor alone made up for any technical missteps in the dance for me. The judges weren't as happy though, they only give them a 20/30. I really hope he stays.

Maks & Debi these 2 remain the only couple with zero chemistry and zero sexyness.

It could have just been the horrible costume she was wearing tonight (seriously ABC wardrobe people what were you thinking with the weird rainbow coloured things hanging off the dress so unnecessary).

The song choice didn't do her any favours either it was more suited for the Rumba then the Samba. I will give her credit for slightly improving her dance moves this week.

With a score of 17/30, she could once again be in the danger of heading home.

Kym & Donny ok Mr. showman you got me again. That was a very soft and pretty looking Rumba. Kudos. And a 21/30, not bad.

Anna & Michael after a major improvement last week, it was back to square one with the Samba.

I think Carrie Ann is right for a big guy he is afraid to make bigger and bolder moves on the dance floor. It's as if he's dancing in a designated invisable box.

So far he's really not up to par with the previous football players on the show. I'm starting to regret my "yay no football players for Edyta" statement in the start of the season.

I think Edyta would be the only one capable of saving him at this point.

The audience might vote for him though just to spite the judges for giving him the lowest score of the night 14/30.

Alec & Natalie's elegant Rumba was a huge improvement over last week. I guess she took all the judges comments to heart. Very well done.

She earned herself the 2nd highest score of the night 26/30.

Anna & Chuck it wasn't the sexiest Samba the show has ever had, but certainly not the worst. At least he's putting in a real effort. With 17/30 however he's gonna need a lot of votes, or he could be sent packing.

I have to admit I'm starting to really warm up to this guy. So I hope he sticks around a bit longer.

Karina & Aaron I said last week that constent high scores were dangerous. And I was right the judges got tough on Aaron dropping him off the leader board with 21/30 for his Rumba.

I do agree with them though the dance lacked fluidity (in terms of his arm movement) and did look very jerky as Bruno put it. So I think that score is fair. He does have beautiful lines though.

I'm sure Aaron will bounce back next week (assuming he makes it of course).

Kelly & Louis speaking of bouncing back. Nice job with the Samba Kelly!. Earning 20/30 (one point higher then last week).

She still has a ways to go in terms of relaxing, and not thinking about perfecting the steps as much. But she did look much less nervous then the week prior.

I do hope she takes it easy on herself in the weeks to come, she needs to do that so she can get her confidence back.

She really is one of the best dancers in the competition she just needs to believe it. Hopefully this week will give her some much needed encouragement.

Chery & Tom I saved this one for last because I honestly don't have much to say about his Rumba. I applaud him for his determination but that's about it.

Even though he only got 15/30 I think the American public will pull him through again.

Though I honstly don't know why. Personally I don't think he's doing himself any favours all he is doing is insuring his own eventual demise.

No comments: