Monday, May 04, 2009

DWTS: Week 9 Ballroom & Latin Round

Well, we are getting awfully close to the end now with only five couples remaining.

Mark & Shawn started the night off with a wonderfully energetic, fun Quickstep. I thought her personality really shined in this dance. One of her best ballroom dances since the early weeks of the competition.

The judges were being real sticklers with their technicalities again (with the breaking the hold rule). Whatever, it was a great solo and a fantastic dance nonetheless. And 27/30 ain't so bad.

Ty & Chelsie were next with an intense Argentine Tango. I actually thought the attitude was more suited for a Paso Doble, but I have to command him once again for all his hard work.

He is by far the most improved dancer the competiton has had in a while. The judges give him 25/30 (his best score in a while as well).

Derek & 'Lil Kim followed with an elegant Waltz. We all know how incredible Kim is when it comes to fast dances (as she proved in the Latin round).

But it's nice to see that she can pull off the more delicate dances just as convincingly. It may not have been as good as her Latin but still a great effort. Earning her 25/30.

Cheryl & Gilles lit up the floor with a spicy Foxtrot. Nice to see Gilles back in his element, and a great score of 29/30. I think this dance will push him through to the semis next week.

Tony & Melissa Yes!, my favourite competitor was back this week(thanks to viewer votes) with a beautifully romantic Viennese Waltz.

Melissa moved so freely it looked like she was almost floating on the floor. The judges didn't seem too enthused, but despite their comments give her a 27/30. Ending the Ballroom portion of the competition.

Mark & Shawn were first again, this time with an impressively agressive Paso Doble. Even after all these weeks I'm still amazed with Shawn's versitility when it comes to dance.

She may freak out during practice sessions but she always brings her all to the dance floor with (as I've said in the past) surprising effortlessness.

I thought her Paso was very well done especially since the music they received seemed so unlike what you would hear for a Paso.

The judges agreed and give her a 29/30. Len was being his usual self and started knit picking again.

Chelsie & Ty even though I cannot help but love this guy with all his charm and humor I want him to go home this week. We're getting to the finish line and Melissa, 'Lil Kim, Shawn, and Gill remain the clear standouts.

Therefore they should be the ones in the top 4. Sorry Ty. I do admire him for trying his damnest though.

Even improving on his hip action tonight, perhaps showing off for his wife helped a bit. The judges give him 21/30 putting him at the bottom of the score board.

Derek & 'Lil Kim showed off their chemistry in a hot and sultry Salsa. The scores were surprisingly disappointing however.

I thought they deserved much higher then 27/30. There should have been at least one 10. The combined score for both rounds give them a total of 52/60.

Cheryl & Gilles danced a sexy Rumba. Boy, can that man move his hips!. Despite the fact I thoroughfully enjoyed the performance for once I have to agree with the judges.

At times the dance felt a little over the top, like he was trying too hard (to be sexy).

And as Carrie-Ann pointed out that's completely unnecessary. The man is a walking sex symbol, and I really hope he sticks around till next week.

Tony & Melissa what better way to bounce back from an injury then with a perfect score. Dancing the Samba put Melissa back at the top of the judges leader board with a total of 57/60. Way to go!.

Right now I'm having a very hard time deciding who I want in the top 2. I definitely think Melissa deserves a spot.

As for the second I'm split between Shawn, Gilles and 'Lil Kim. Hopefully after next week, the top contenders will become more clear.

2 comments:

ZenDenizen said...

Nice recap, this is one of the best seasons ever!

Lurker said...

Thanks! =), I agree this is a really great season almoast as good as the one with Mel B. and Jennie Garth (season 5 I think). I'm really enjoying it.