Friday, July 04, 2008

Bon Voyage

A bittersweet moment with my sis and her husband
The whole family (once again sans mom) outside the airport just before saying goodbye


They always say that sorry is the hardest word (there's even a song about it) but I think goodbye ranks right up too.

I hate having to say goodbye doesn't matter whether it's a friend or family member. It makes things so much more difficult of course if it is a family member.

We drove my brother-in-law back to the airport yesterday (he's heading home to Poland after staying with us in Canada on vacation the last couple of weeks).

The ride to the airport was horrendous, not so much due to the traffic on the road (although that didn't help), but because the car was so awkwardly quiet.

All of us were off in our own little world, with thoughts racing a mile a minute.

The closer we got to the airport the more quiet things became. As we neared baggage check in and the security area, it became more and more difficult to hold in the tears.

My dad and I managed to rein in our emotions (although I did start to break-down as we started to hug). It was especially tough with both my niece and sister looking teary.

I always find the hardest part is walking away from the airport, knowing that every step you take, gets you further and further away from the person who's leaving.

What softened the blow this time was the knowledge that my niece and sister were not the ones leaving yet.

It also made me realize that as difficult as this goodbye had been, saying goodbye to them will be a hundred times worse.

But for the time being I'm going to stop thinking such gloomy thoughts and enjoy the time we have.

No comments: