Friday, May 17, 2019

Roger Federer withdraws from Rome with a leg injury

Roger Federer has withdrawn from the Internazionali BNL d’Italia ahead of his quarter-final against eighth seed Stefanos Tsitsipas on Friday due to a right leg injury.

Federer, a four-time runner-up at the Foro Italico in Rome, booked his place in the last eight by saving two match points in the third set tie-break of Thursday night’s win against Croatian Borna Coric.

But it was Federer's second match of the day because rain washed out play on Wednesday. Earlier Thursday, the Swiss beat Joao Sousa in straight sets. In total, Federer spent nearly four hours on court.

“I am disappointed that I will not be able to compete today. I am not 100 per cent physically and after consultation with my team, it was determined that I not play. Rome has always been one of my favourite cities to visit, and I hope to be back next year,” Federer said.

The 37-year-old was making his first appearance in the Italian capital since 12 May 2016 because he skipped the 2017 and 2018 clay-court swings. He is next scheduled to compete at the season's second Grand Slam event, Roland Garros, which begins Sunday 26 May. Federer has not played at Roland Garros since 2015.

atptour.com

I had a feeling this might happen after yesterday's craziness of back to back day matches. I hope this is just Roger wanting to rest so he can do well in Paris in a week. 

No comments: