Sunday, May 12, 2019

Roger Federer may decide to play the Italian Open in Rome after Madrid exit

ROGER FEDERER has revealed he may compete at the Italian Open after his shock inclusion in today’s draw.

Federer listed the Madrid and French Opens as his only clay-court tournaments.

But the Swiss star crashed out of the Madrid Open to Dominic Thiem in the quarter-finals earlier today.

And the 37-year-old then admitted he may make a shock appearance in Italy next week.

“No [I have not yet pulled out of the Italian Open], that is why I am in the draw,” he said.

I couldn’t make the decision before the game and I had to wait and see how this match plays out today.

“If it was going to be 6-0, 6-0 or 7-6 in the third. Winning or losing it all matters.

“It was a difficult path for me to take the decision, that’s why I’m in the draw.

“I will probably only decide on the weekend.”

Federer has been handed a difficult draw in Rome as he could face Denis Shapovalov in his opening match.

Arch-rival Rafael Nadal is also in the same half of the draw.

World No 1 Novak Djokovic is a potential final opponent.

Roger Federer projected route to Italian Open final
1R-Bye

2R-Shapovalov/Carreno

3R-Cecchinato/De Minaur

QF-Delpo/Wawrinka

SF-Zverev

F-Nadal/Thiem/Federer

No comments: