Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Roger Federer rolls into round 3 at Roland Garros

 I don't know what's going on in this pic but I love it



Roger Federer doesn't know a lot about his third-round opponent, #NextGenATP Norwegian Casper Ruud. In fact, he might know more about Christian Ruud, Casper's father and coach who ended his career at the 2001 Roland Garros, the eighth Slam Federer played.

“I know probably more about his dad than about him. Even though I never played him, the father,” Federer said. “I know that [Casper has] improved a lot in recent years, and I think he plays very well on the clay. Again, I haven't seen him play a whole lot. But for any 20-year-old to be on the big stage, playing a top guy, on a centre court, that's what you dream of."

Federer coasted into the third round on Wednesday as he continued his Roland Garros return without dropping a set 6-4, 6-3, 6-4 against Germany's Oscar Otte.

The third-seeded Swiss, making his first appearance in Roland Garros since 2015, won 75 per cent of his service points, including the same percentage on his second offering, and was never challenged against the 25-year-old German, No. 144 in the ATP Rankings. Federer saved all four break points faced.

“I must say I feel really good, considering I haven't played here in that long. Especially if I think back a few weeks and months ago before Madrid, didn't know how successful I was going to play or how I was going to feel on the clay,” said Federer, who played in Madrid and Rome before Roland Garros.

“The clay-court season has been, it's been busy, and it's nice this way. So I hope I can keep it up. Next round is definitely going to be tougher.”

Ruud made his first third round at a Grand Slam by beating Italy's Matteo Berrettini 6-4, 7-5, 6-3. The 20-year-old Ruud, playing at a career-high No. 63, made the fourth round at the ATP Masters 1000 event in Rome earlier this month (l. to Del Potro) and improved to 13-5 on the season with the straight-sets win against Berrettini.

“Today, by the scoreline against Berrettini, seems like he did his work, and he deserves to be in the third round. I will take him very seriously,” Federer said.

Ruud has matched his Grand Slam win total this week and has yet to drop a set in beating Berrettini and 2014 semi-finalist Ernests Gulbis of Latvia.

“I didn't kind of expect myself to win in three straight sets, but I played very good tennis when I had to the most, especially toward the end of both first and second set,” Ruud said of his second-round match.

“Now I'm playing one of the greatest champions ever of this sport on Friday, so I'm just super excited for it. I can play loose and free. I have nothing to stress about or think too much about.

“But of course I will be a bit excited and nervous, but I will just look at it as a great opportunity and a privilege to be able to play Roger.”

No comments: