Saturday, July 11, 2015

Martina Hingis & Leander Paes reach Wimbledon mixed doubles final!

It is 17 years since Martina Hingis last played in a Wimbledon final.

She now finds herself in two. The game has changed. So too has the former teenage prodigy’s perspective.

It was suggested the Swiss legend has made more comebacks than American crooner Frank Sinatra after her latest feat, which saw her win through to both the women’s doubles and mixed doubles finals this weekend.

“New York, New York!”

She broke into an impromptu rendition of his most famous tune, before laughing with that big grin in embarrassment. “I’m bad at singing,” she said.

What started as a bit of fun to feed an insatiable competitive drive has become a full-blown return to doubles. As the No.1 seeds, she and Sania Mirza won through to the women’s doubles decider, taking out Americans Raquel Kops-Jones and Abigail Spears 6-1, 6-2.

Only hours later as the No.7 seeds, she teamed up with another Indian, Leander Paes, to upset the No.1 seeds Mike Bryan and Bethanie Mattek-Sands 6-3, 6-4 in a mixed doubles semi-final.

“Obviously amazing. It’s more than I could have dreamed of when I started this journey and coming to Wimbledon. Reminds me of 17 years ago when I last won here,” she laughed. “I never liked playing on court 1 in singles. I had those first-round losses (in singles) but I finally fell in love with court 1 today.”

wimbledon.com
If she can pull both off it's gonna be another amazing feat to add to her already illustrious career. Go Martina!.

No comments: