Monday, July 13, 2015

Martina Hingis reigns supreme at Wimbledon with 2 back to back doubles titles!







Martina Hingis Facebook Fanclub

WTA Facebook Page

LONDON, England - Martina Hingis and Leander Paes put on an absolute masterclass against Timea Babos and Alexander Peya to win their second mixed doubles title of the year together at Wimbledon.

The No.7-seeded Hingis and Paes never faced a break point and won almost three times as many points - 55 to 20 - to beat the No.5-seeded Babos and Peya in 40 minutes on Centre Court, 6-1, 6-1.

Having won the doubles title at Wimbledon the night before alongside another Indian, Sania Mirza, Hingis is the first player to win both doubles and mixed at Wimbledon since 2004 (Cara Black).

It's also the 18th overall Grand Slam title of her career. She has five singles, 10 doubles and now three mixed. By major it's nine Australian Opens, two French Opens, five Wimbledons and two US Opens.

"Well, I think that was the best we played pretty much since Australia in all the matches. I think it's pretty exciting to come out like this in the finals of a Grand Slam," Hingis said after the match.

"Beating Bryan and Mattek was definitely a huge win that day. It was my second match in that day. I'm grateful to have had Leander on my side to pull me through that one. And today I had a great night after last night, so... a good night's sleep, and I was ready to go all the way in another final today."

Hingis was asked how it felt to win two Grand Slam titles with two Indian players in two days.

"Well, with Leander we played World TeamTennis for the last two years. I'm already looking forward to playing together again in two weeks. And with Sania, we only started in March this year. But since then it's been a great ride for me. I already feel like a quarter Indian. I've been to India three times already, last November, in February - no, the fourth time. Meeting the Prime Minister and everything."

And what clicks so well between Hingis and Paes specifically?

"Leander is just a great person who I know is always a great help, whether it's practice or off the court. We make each other better. It's even more important to get along off the court than on the court."

2nd mixed doubles title with Leander having won this year's Aussie Open. 

Great tournament for Hingis!.  Just like Roger Federer she's proving that age really is just a number :).  

Hingis became the second player to win both titles at Wimbledon since 2004. 

Who knows maybe she'll be just as successful at the U.S. Open in 7 weeks time.

No comments: