Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My thoughts on Roger Federer's shocking loss in 2nd round of Wimbledon

I debated on whether or not to post the usual match summery via reputable news source but that seemed a bit lazy and I decided it's best I share my personal opnion on the subject.

And also as part of my therapy to try to get over this crushing loss I needed to put my feelings out into the interwebs.

If my thoughts seem jumbled it's because as I write this I am still trying to get over the shock of it all.

The sports journalists will undoubtedly say things like Federer's age is finally catching up to him, or simply that his younger opponent was just too good. I won't be surprised if retirement rumors start rearing their ugly head again.

As for myself I honestly don't know how to summarize this loss, it certainly will be categorized as Federer's worst loss in what is an illustrious 15 year career.

I could say that indeed the journalists are right and Federer is finally showing some signs of decline with age, or give full credit to his opponent (because it certainly is not easy to beat someone like Roger). But I think the simple truth is that Roger like many elite athletes just had a bad day.

Having said that as an admirer of the man for many years I couldn't help but hope that despite squandering important chances to break his opponent in the 3rd and especially the 4th set, he would turn on that extra gear and pull through in the end.

After all we've seen him have bad days like this countless times in recent past, but being Roger Federer he always found a way to shake it off just at the right moment and achieve the impossible.  Last year's 4th round against Benneteau  being the perfect example.

But instead I along with the rest of the tennis world got a sad and perhaps sobering reminder  that despite how super human he may seem sometimes he is in fact a fallible human being who simply wasn't good enough on this day.

I think the hardest part of this loss as a fan is accepting the unrealized potential chance of  Roger grabbing his 8th Wimbledon title (which no other man has ever done). Thus equaling Nadal's 8 French Open titles

Those chances were greatly improved with Nadal going out on the first day of the tournament. That disappointment of failing to capitalize on it is the one thing that I think will take me and many of his fans the longest to get over.

On a day that seemed to be cursed with injuries and withdraws (7 in total) there's one thing I know for certain June 26th is officially my least favourite day of this calendar year.





No comments: