MOSCOW, June 17 (R-Sport) – Former World women’s tennis No. 1 Martina Hingis is no longer coaching Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Russian national team coach Vladimir Kamelzon told R-Sport on Monday.
The 21-year-old Russian hooked up with the Swiss star in April and soon took her fifth title in Oeiras, Portugal.
But since then her results have taken a slide, with only one win in her last three tournaments, and she crashed out of the French Open with a second-round defeat to 171th-ranked Petra Cetkovska.
It took the 21st-ranked player to seven wins and four defeats under Hingis.
“Pavlyuchenkova and Hingis didn’t agree on the methods of preparation and I had expected it,” Kamelzon said. “In order to win Grand Slam tournaments you need to have a coach, not a player with a big name.”
Pavlyuchenkova is to reunite with her brother Alexander, who coached her from September 2009 through October 2010 and guided her to her first two WTA titles in Monterrey and Istanbul.
“Pavlyuchenkova is back in training with her brother Alexander who will take her through preparations for Wimbledon,” said Kamelzon, referring to the third Grand Slam of the season which starts next week.
“He has done a lot for her, then they parted for some time, but now she realizes that it’s best to work with him.”
Pavlyuchenkova is looking to improve upon two third-round appearances at Wimbledon in 2008 and 2010.
Guess the trial run is over, too bad. Pavlyuchenkova may not have been the right player but I wouldn't count Hingis out as a coach just yet.