Sunday, October 07, 2012

Roger Federer ready for Shanghai


After all the crazy happenings that transpired before the tournament, Roger Federer is ready for this year’s Shanghai Masters challenge.
“Important is that the body is okay, that the mind is fresh and ready to travel, willing to do the sacrifices and all those things. I felt like I can handle it. I’m actually kind of fine, but not injured or not tired. So that’s why I decided in the end to come here, because I love playing here in China. I’ve had some amazing weeks here in my life.”
Prior to reports that Federer will be coming to China with his wife, Mirka, and their twins, the Swiss Maestro decided to travel alone.
“Five days ago, my wife finally agreed that my body heals enough, and released me to attend the Shanghai Masters. Since I have come to Shanghai for the competition, I might as well bring the most satisfying result back home for my wife.
Everyone are highly anticipating which tennis player will end this year’s ATP race and he admits that he has high hopes to finish as world no. 1 n the South African Airways ATP Rankings.
I hope I will finish World No. 1 at the end of the year,” said Federer, who is competing for the first time since the US Open. ”For me it’s about trying to play well here in Shanghai and go from there. If everything would have been totally focused on World No. 1, I would have gone to Tokyo or Beijing, most likely, and all those things.
With both Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray present on tour, anything is possible. But as for the Swiss Champ, he already reached his goal for the year.
I’ve already reached my goal by getting back to World No. 1 in the summer. That was for me the goal, getting back there and winning a Grand Slam, particularly Wimbledon, plus the Olympic medal is a big thing for me as well.”
This week, Roger Federer is aiming for his 22nd ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title, and is on track for his record 300th week as World no.1. Roger Federer will have to wait and set a match with whoever wins between a Chinese wildcard Zhe Zhang or qualifier Lu in the second round.
I love playing here in China,” he said.
“I’ve had some amazing weeks here in my life. I do appreciate all the support I get here. I didn’t want to miss it. I really tried to keep my schedule as flexible as I could so I could come to Shanghai. I’m very relieved and happy now that I’m here. I want to play well and go deep into the tournament. The focus is clearly on the first round, making sure I find my way into the tournament first.”

No comments: