Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Roger Federer moves on in Shanghai Masters




SHANGHAI — Roger Federer ignored recent death threats from a Chinese blogger and won his opening match at the Shanghai Masters on Wednesday, beating qualifier Lu Yen-Hsun 6-3, 7-5 in the second round.
Federer said he was aware that the blogger had recently issued an apology.
The 17-time Grand Slam champion has had heavy security surrounding him at all times since arriving in Shanghai.
“I felt fine” Federer said. “There was maybe one quick thought. I saw one of the bodyguards outside of the court. I thought, still around, obviously. I have bodyguards every time I play a match on a center court, which is normal.
“Once the match started, got underway, I never thought about it again.”
Federer saved the one break point he faced and broke serve once in each set to secure his path to the third round. He’ll next face 13th-seeded Stanislas Wawrinka.
“I thought it was a good match for me,” Federer said. “Obviously, not having been broken is a good thing early on in a tournament. You hope it sets a trend for more to come.”

No comments: