Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Kim Clijsters will participate in some 2013 tennis events


Belgium's Kristen Flipkens is having the best run of her career and it could better with the help of an old friend and a former world no. 1.

Flipkens, who has won 24 of her last 26 matches, revealed that good friend and countrywoman Kim Clijsters will be joining her at some events next year. 

Clijsters retired from the sport at the US Open in August.

"She's not my coach, but she knows how to help me and what I need before and after a match, and she's going to come to some tournaments with me," Flipkens told the press in Luxembourg where she beat Sabine Lisicki on Tuesday. "Her family comes first, so we'll see where it's possible and where it's not, but I'm happy she'll be helping me wherever she can. I've known her for 20 years - she has always been a little bit like my bigger sister, always taking care of me and trying to help me/ We grew up in the same tennis school when we were younger. I was six or seven years old when I met her. Our moms are very good friends too, and I also grew up with her sister, Elke. It's amazing - I'm glad our friendship lasted this long. To everyone else she's Kim the tennis player, but to me she's Kim."

Flipkens has risen from outside the top 250 in June to her current ranking of no. 58 in just 4 months thanks to her successful run.


Nice, I'll be keeping my eye on this player.

No comments: