Monday, September 26, 2011

DWTS 13: Week 2 Quick-step & Jive

As per usual I will for-go with the full names now that we're in week 2.

Less typing for me, if you wanna know exactly who the people are check out my post for week 1 ;).

Hope & Maks were up first tonight with the Jive.  I disagree with Len who thought the kicks were sharp, looked like the opposite to me but whatever.

Both Bruno and Len pointed out that she lost her timing several times.  Bruno stressed that she needs to apply herself and practice more which I agree with.

Obviously it can't be easy being a soccer player.  But plenty of other contestants managed to juggle all their commitments and actually win the thing (so that excuse can only be used once imho).

I tend to agree with Carrie Ann the only thing I liked about her tonight was the performance side of the dance.

Potential is still there, but she needs to work a lot harder if she wants to go deep into the competition.

Or as Maks stated in the rehearsal footage they'll be gone by week 3.  Btw. way to inspire your partner Maks! LOL. 19/30 was the final score.

Kristen & Mark danced a Marilyn Monroe inspired Quickstep complete with wig and dress.  Bruno commented that she lost her frame and lines throughout.

Len thought the footwork could have been cleaner & her hold stronger.  Bottom line the dance didn't look as good as she did.  Can't say I disagree.

Really the whole first hour of the show tonight was filled with sub-par performances.

Things didn't start to take off until hour 2 with what I believe to be the real contenders and some surprises (more on that later).  22/30 a popular score for the night.

David & Kym were up next with another Jive.  All judges thought that although more relaxed at times he was a bit too loose.  Len thought he lacked technique.  Carrie Ann thought he found his persona.

My general impression was although filled with plenty of exuberance and enthusiasm it kind of didn't feel like a Jive Bruno thought the same (might have something to do with the lack of quickness and snappy movements) that make the dance so fun to watch.  18/30 not the best score yet sadly not the worst.

Elisabetta & Val Quickstep one of the few times Len and I were in agreement.  It was certainly better then last week.

Bruno encouraged her to keep working on it, stating she has what it takes.  I'm not so sure.

I liked her in week 1 but tonight's bickering really made it seem like she really doesn't want to be there, or be bothered to put in the effort long term.

Carrie Ann thought Quickstep was her dance.  Again not so much, but she may have done enough tonight to keep her around another week at least.  21/30

Rob & Cheryl Bruno thought his Jive was a great improvement over last week (yeah by pretty much leaps and bounds!).  Len found him confident while Carrie Ann thought he was better then his sister Kim.

Which I personally wouldn't know didn't watch DWTS from the beginning.  21/30 again judges didn't really feel generous tonight.

I don't really like him (find him kind of boring in fact) entertainment wise, but he is another person who may have done enough to squeak by into next week. 

Carson & Anna Carrie Ann found his Quick step wabbly but an improvement over last week as well.

While I agree with Bruno that he has a long way to go technically.  Len put it best: on this show sometimes the worst dancers are the most fun to watch.

And that's what he is, entertainment to the fullest. 18/30 was their total.  I hope he sticks around at least one more week.

Ricky & Derek one of my favourite couples was up next with a fun Jive that didn't disappoint.  Carrie Ann called it the best one of the night.  Len wanted a bit more content.

Bruno thought out of all the contestants she was the only one who did the kicks and flicks correctly.

Which certainly looked like it.  I was quite impressed with how well she moved. 

Older contestants always find the pace of the dance to be a real challenge.  I thought she handled it well.

They became the score board leaders for the night with 23/30 Well deserved!. 

There's a reason why Derek has 3 mirror ball trophies, the man knows how to teach;).  Not to mention choreograph.


Chaz & Lacey Poor Chaz just couldn't make the Quickstep quite as quick due to some major knee pain:(.  Despite that I thought he give a valiant effort nonetheless.

The judges were pretty much in agreement in terms of lack of speed.  And although understanding and compassionate toward his hindrance had to score him accordingly.

Giving him the lowest total with 17/30.  I hope people vote to give him a chance at redemption.

Chynna & Tony Based on last week's performance all of the judges expected her to blow the Jive right out of the water.

Instead they were disappointed with a subdued performance.  I actually agree with all 3 for once.  I think a little bit more content could have helped to make it better.  21/30.

Nancy & Tristan for the record I still find her extremely annoying but I have to give her props for a really good effort with her Quickstep.  Bruno found it vivacious.

Len was quite happy with the proper technical aspects of the dance (which earned them the only 8 for the night from him).

Carrie Ann unlike Len would have enjoyed a bit more flare to the traditional they performed.  But really likes them as a team.  Whereas I simply enjoy Tristan on his own.  21/30.

J.R. & Karina had the most energetic Jive of the night (and right on point speed-wise).  While Bruno was extatic.  Carrie Ann felt the need to take off a point for a lift *rollseyes*.

Len just thought it was too much like the Lindy Hop.  I thought it was an awesome way to close the show, and should have gotten a higher score then 22/30. 

I must say had a really hard time predicting who would head home tomorrow based on scores it would be too obvious (and I really hope Chaz stays).  So I'm going with David or Rob.

No comments: