Monday, September 19, 2011

DWTS 13: Week 1 Viennese Waltz & Cha Cha

Here we go again.  The start of yet another season of DWTS.  I got particularly excited about this one after I saw the list of celebs.  And first impressions certainly didn't disappoint tonight.

Won't bother with the judges comments & scores this time we'll leave that for next week.  If you want that you'll have to rely on Google, otherwise enjoy my general observations instead ;).  

One more thing before I get on with pair impressions, I must say I absolutely love the huge glittery set including the new and improved raised floor.  Nice way to freshen things up ABC ;).

Ron Artest (NBA star) & Peta Murgatroyd (one of the new dancers this season) were up first with the Cha Cha.  Total disaster.

He may be great on the basketball court but the dude has no rhythm tough debut for Peta.

Although to be fair we've seen worse first night performance flame-outs over the years so who knows. 

Still he could be the one to go home first tomorrow.  Though personally I'm hoping for someone else more on that later.

Rob Kardashian & Cheryl Burke followed with the Viennese Waltz.  While it was certainly an improvement over the opening dance it was still not a performance to get overexcited about.

I don't expect any of the celebs to be absolutely great right out of the gate, week one is always the one with the most jitters.

But people with natural dance talent have stood out in past seasons, as was the case with some tonight as well.  Rob unfortunatetly wasn't one of them.

His Viennese Waltz came off very stiff (no doubt due to major nerves).  I didn't really see any charisma either.  He'll have to let go of his inhibitions a little more if he wants to make it further then his sister.

He does have some potential with a little more tough training from Cheryl he could get better.  We'll see how he does in week 2 if he survives.

Kristin Cavallari (actress) & Mark Ballas danced a decent Cha Cha.  Definitely another contestant whom if she relaxes a bit more could be great.

She's tall with long arms and legs which works well for slow ballroom dances.  I hope she makes it a bit further so that I can see whether I'm right.

I think Mark pretty much made up for any exuberance she may have lacked (although she looked pretty comfortable herself).

Boy was on fire!.  Lots of lovely MJ inspired moves.  Also glad to see he let his hair grow out some, bold Mark was just weird looking.  He has always had an awesome head of hair.

Chynna Phillips (singer) & Tony Dovolani danced a surprisingly fluid Viennese Waltz.  Truly one of the hardest to perform first night out imho.  It was very graceful and elegant.

Interestingly I noticed that the majority of the celebs that had this style did particularly well.

While the Cha Cha seemed to be the downfall for the rest.

Tony may actually have shot at title with this one (and I know I probably said that last season (?) but I really think this could be Tony's year to hold up that trophy.

Would be about damn time too!  We shall wait and see.

Nancy Grace & Tristan MacManus came out next with an unconvincing Cha Cha.  Tristan is another new addition to DWTS.  Can I just say how much I love the man's scottish accent? ♥♥♥.

Nancy Grace wasn't impressed however and felt the need to correct/point out his mispronunciations.  First rule of teacher/student relationship Nancy, never correct the instructor!.  Especially when they're hot! ;).
  
Her dislike of Tristan's accent pretty much equeled my dislike of her entire uninspiring dance routine.  While I admire older celebs who go out and give their best there was honestly nothing exciting about her personality or her performance.

The whole thing came off really boring (at least to this average viewer watching at home).

If I had to pick the first person to get the boot tomorrow I would put her on the top of the list.

David Arquette & Kym Johnson one of the 3 pairings I was most excited about (Chaz & Ricky being the other 2).

Though the scores may not have reflected it David came out and danced a superb Viennese Waltz (like I said it really was the dance of the night for all who attempted it).

I know it's still very early but we may have to dub him the new Mr. twinkle toes (step down Hines!)  I expected David to be lot more nervous, and kind of flounder on the floor.  But he was the complete opposite of that.

Except for a small slip up he was right on point.  He was wonderfully confident and enthusiastic.  It was a real joy watching him almost effortlessly glide across the floor (and this in week 1!).

I think Kim got a good one again this year!.  Hope he stays I wanna see what else he can do!.

Elisabetta Canalis (model) & Val Chmerkovskiy not a bad debut for Maks's little brother.  And boy, they certainly look alike!.  Still prefer Maks's more rugged exterior though. 

I'm not sure what was more fun, or I should say funny.  The dancing, or their bickering in rehearsal  I'm going with the latter (Russian and Italian what a combo! :D).

Something tells me the language barrier will provide for a lot more laughs in the coming weeks.

Although since her Cha Cha left a lot to be desired I doubt we'll be seeing her for the long haul (she may be the other one in danger of getting kicked off).

Hope Solo (US soccer star) & Maksim Chmerkovskiy I don't think the Viennese Waltz was good fit for her first time out.

But at least unlike the first contestant of the night she actually had musicality and rhythm albeit a little stiff but that's to be expected.

Athletes tend to do well on this show so I think with a bit more practice and guidance from Maks she could actually go far.  Another pair with some definite potential for sure.

Carson Kressly & Anne Trebunskaya
I'll say this what the man lacks in his dancing he makes up for with flamboyant enthusiasm.  Like Cloris Leachman he could make it a few weeks on entertainment value alone!.

I'm not sure the Cha Cha was his thing but a big part of me wants to see what he would do with something like the Viennese Waltz, that and I really wanna see just how many glittery outfits he has left in his closet ;D.

So I hope he stays as well. 

J.R. Martinez & Karina Smirnof performed another lovely Viennese Waltz.  Putting him down as another possible early contender.  Good dancer, and quite expressive emotionally.

Two most important qualities of any dancer (ones that have immensely helped past champs).  If he continues to improve that could carry him  far.

Derek Hough & Ricki Lake One of two couples with the most chemistry (Chaz & Lacey being 2nd).  Also the second best Viennese Waltz of the night.

I knew if there was anyone who could teach a former talk show host to dance it would be Derek.  Very emotionally driven.  These 2 would be on my list of possibly making it all the way to the end.

Curious to see how she'll do with a Latin dance.  Hope she gets the chance to try it.

Chaz Bono and Lacey Schwimmer I think I'm going to amend my earlier statement and say that these 2 come in first on the chemistry front.

Chaz and Lacey really are the perfect match, I think her at times unconventional style will suit him well should he go further (and I so hope he does!).

Chaz's smile and charisma lit up the dance floor during his Cha Cha.

As did his "give it my all" attitude.  He may not be the best, but he certainly has the potential to become it.  I hope people give him the chance to do so.  Can you tell they're the ones I'm really rooting for? *LOL*. 

No comments: