Monday, September 20, 2010

DWTS 11: Week 1 Viennese Waltz and Cha-Cha

Well here we go with the fall premiere of a brand new season of Dancing with the Stars.  Unlike last season I'm actually excited about this particular cast.

Some more then others but more on that later.  On to the couples themselves.  This year we are starting out with 12.

Audrina Partidge (The Hills) & Tony Dovolani kicked things off first with the Cha-Cha.  And can I just say how freakin' happy I am that Tony finally has a decent (not to mention young partner).

It's probably way too early to say, but with her potential Tony might actually have a shot at the trophy this season.

But again I know I'm jumping the gun.  Her dancing although good was a little bit stiff (as is to be expected of course).

For being the first ones out of the gate she handled the whole situation really well (others have spectacularly failed) so big props to her on that.

I think she'll definitely only get better with more practice.  So hopefully the audience will give her a chance to continue on and improve.

Her score wasn't too bad either (not that that really matters at this stage).  But a 19/30. Not too shabby. We've seen a lot worse.

Kurt Warner (NFL quarterback) & Anna Trebunskaya were next on the dance floor with the first Viennese Waltz of the night.

The result of which got the judges, or more precisely Mr. Fuddy Daddy aka Len Goodman all up in a snit. And that's on night one, I can already tell this season is gonna be fun :D.

Personally I thought he didn't do too badly, and his personality is interesting enough to watch so I think he'll probably stick around for bit.

He got the same score as above so obviously despite Len's misgivings he's doing something right.  Or at least heading in the right direction.


Kyle Massey & Lacey Schwimmer I think I mentioned in a post a few weeks back that I thought these two could work well together.  I love it when I'm right.

I knew they would be fun, but what I didn't anticipate was how much charisma and energy this guy would have.  In that respect I think he fits Lacey like a glove.

Lacey hasn't had a good partner since Lance Bass a few years back so I'm so happy for her.  And judging by her reaction at the end of the dance I think she's quite happy as well.

As Len said if he can keep up the same level of energy and enjoyment he could go quite far in the competition. A score of 23/30 is a good start toward accomplishing that.

Rick Fox & Cheryl Burke I was actually half joking about the heels in my post from earlier in the month, but it seems the producers and I were on the same track.

How he pulled off a smooth and elegant Viennese Waltz with a person of his height I'll never know.

But I applaud them both.  It could not have been easy in fact I thought that would be a real hindrance in performing any type of dance, so it was nice to be proven wrong.

The white/cream suit was working for him as well (no wonder he has Eliza Dushku as his girlfriend).  Now I'm really looking forward to seeing how he handles the Latin dance next week.

The judges seemed blown away they give him 22/30

Margaret Cho & Louis Van Amstel were up next with another Viennese Waltz.  Weirdly entertaining is the only way to describe it I think.

I'm not sure what was funnier the facial expressions, or the shawl over head bit.

Overall though I was disappointed, and I agree with the judges I wish she chose to simply dance instead of the whole comedy shtick.

Because she's another celebrity with some real potential, and this really didn't showcase it.  I already know she is an awesome comedian I wanted to see the dancer.

I think this choice would have been much better suited for something like the Paso Doble, or even the Lindy Hop.

Hopefully she'll stick around long enough to try it out then (with her fan base something tells me that won't be an issue).  The score pretty much supports what I said 15/30.

Brandy & Maksim Chmerkovskiy all their head-butting took me back to season 5 with Maks and Mel B. 

Who I believe was as much of a perfectionist as Brandy, this could actually work out really well.

Her Viennese Waltz was sweet, but could have been a little more soft and flowing.

Still a nice solid effort for a first week, with a little more work she could be potential contender.  23/30 total score.

Bristol Palin & Mark Ballas I thought her Cha-Cha was not bad if a little stiff.

She can definitely shake it, once she learns to loosen up (and maybe replaces her shyness with some boldness) she could be great to watch. 18/30 was their score.

Also in regards to Mark, dude! what happened to your hair?!.  I liked the hair.


Florence Henderson & Corky Ballas Carol Brady has a potty mouth who knew? *lol*She's quite the character, and unlike Cloris Leachmen she can actually move.

Actually I can't believe she's 76!.  You'd think that after Betty White nothing would surprise me, but wow I hope I look that good!.  I had no idea she was so naughty either.

Anyone else notice her getting frisky with Tom Bergeron before they went to commercial? :D.  Love it!.  In fact I wanna see more so I hope people vote. 

With 18/30 she will need some help.  I was so entertained by her personality alone I can't recall what dance she did *lol* (I think it was a Cha-Cha).  And a very well done one at that.  I hope she's given a chance to continue.


Michael Bolton & Chelsie Hightower followed with a Viennese Waltz which turned out better then I thought it would be.  Wasn't great, but wasn't horrible either.

He does need to relax and smile more though as the judges themselves pointed out.

Personality wise he's kind of a bore, honestly if I had to choose for someone to get the boot tomorrow it would be him.  With a score of 16/30 he might be well on his way.


Karina Smirnoff & Mike "The Situation" This guy is like one of those annoying guys you just can't wait to get away from at the gym.

Or the annoying jock from High school.  The lack of rehearsal certainly didn't help him in the dancing department (in fact I don't even remember which dance he did).  I think it was supposed to be a Cha-Cha

And although there's a tiny part of me that would like to see how he would do with more training and if he actually applied himself instead of relying on his abs *rolls eyes*.

His confidence may be interpreted as smugness (it certainly come off that way to me) and it might look the same to the American audience.

Then again they might keep him around for the eye candy ('cause it certainly isn't the brains). I won't be too sad if he is the first one to get the boot tomorrow.

The judges were equally unimpressed with a 15/30 total score.


Jennifer Grey & Derek Hough the couple (which I totally called before they were even officially announced).

They really are a perfect match for one another.  Both goofy and energetic, but totally professional at the same time 

This is also the couple I was most excited to see (so was the rest of the American audience if the cheers are anything to judge by). 


After all these years the "Dirty Dancing" star's still got it.  She danced a lovely elegant Viennese Waltz that would have made Patrick Swayze proud.

I actually heard that's her main motivation for doing the show in the first place as a tribute to him.  Which I think is quite admirable and brave.

The Viennese Waltz was set to the tune of "These Arms of Mine" a very famous intimate scene from "Dirty Dancing".

Which was a nice yet insensitve gesture on the part of the producers.  I know what they were going for, but it could not have been easy for her to dance to.

As evidenced in the rehearsal footage where she breaks down crying while watching Derek compose his routine.

I teared up right along with her.  That song brings back so many bittersweet memories of Patrick.  The judges seemed as deeply effected as me they give her the highest score of the night 24/30.

Like Len I can't wait to see how she handles the Latin dances.  Regardless I'm rooting for her all the way.  Oh, and nice to see Jamie Lee Curtis supporting her in the audience :).

"The Hoff" aka David Hasselhoff  & Kym Johnson

I think Len summed it up best by saying "it's never too early to panic" *lol*.  I love the guy but that was not good at all.

The audience may decide to give him one more shot but I'm just not sure it would be worth it at this point.  Now strangest things have happened and he may prove me wrong in fact I hope he does.

But things look less then promising at the moment. I am rooting for him though, you never know.  With 15/30 he'll need all the help he can get.



No comments: