Monday, November 09, 2009

DWTS 9: Week 8 Ballroom & Latin Rounds

And then there were 5.

Hard to believe we're nearing the semi-finals already. This season the weeks seem to have flown by at break-neck speed!.

With the competition winding down, and 2 dances each the pressure was on big time.

Ballroom Round

Mya & Dmitry got the night started with a Quick step that the judges thought was perfection. It certainly looked good to me!.

Giving them a near perfect score of 29/30. And putting Mya back on the top of the leader board.

This may be a tad presumptuous of me, but I think she's headed for the finals (in fact I'll be shocked if she doesn't make it).

Aaron & Karina were next on the floor with the Foxtrot. Carrie Ann and Bruno thought it wasn't fluid/smooth enough. Len opted for some encouragement instead.

They got a 23/30 for their efforts (so a real drop from the high of last week)

I have to give huge credit to Karina for continuing to dance (instead of pawning Aaron on to someone else) despite fighting the flu that has been circulating around.

DWTS has become a petri dish of germs.

Germs that are getting to them all one by one. I think it's a real good thing we're nearing the end, so all these guys can go home and get some proper rest and nourishment.

Derek & Joanna's Quick step failed to impress the judges (and me).

It was her weakest performance (her first weak performance really), but thankfully she made up for it in the Latin Round.

Their scores were the same as Aaron's and Karina's.

Kelly & Louis danced the Foxtrot.

Kelly has finally learned to relax and enjoy the experience rather then stress out over perfecting the steps. It's nice to see her looking comfortable out there. It's really helped her dancing in the last couple of weeks.

Their score was one point higher then last week 25/30.

Donny & Kym ended the Ballroom Round with an elegant Viennese Waltz. Carrie Ann and Bruno really liked it (and thought his posture has really improved). I agree.

Len thought the whole thing was too arty farty (whatever that means *lol*). End result?. 26/30. Not bad.

Latin Round

Ok, can I just say the decade theme latin dances is exactly the reason I love this style of dance, and why I continue to watch this show. Absolute fun!. I hope they bring it back next year.

Mya & Dmitry's 70's Samba (complete with 70's wardrobe) made the judges jump for joy. Earning them the first perfect 30 of the season.

I agree with Carrie Ann after this dance Mya has finally proven she actually wants to win this whole thing. Well done!.

Aaron & Karina's 90's Samba allowed him to put all his extra energy to good use. And got him a better score of 27/30 in the process.

Though I really could have done without the "throw up" comment thank you very much.

We know you're sick Aaron no need to over share as Tom Bergeron so aptly put it.

Derek & Joanna redeemed themselves with a futuristic Paso Doble that was literally out of this world (in a good way).

Definitely one of the most unique pieces of choreography I've seen Derek do in all 9 years of the show.

To paraphrase Len and Bruno it was genius. Pure genius. Bravo Mr. Hough!.

Kelly & Louis' 60's Jive was right up their alley. As soon as I saw the doll prop I expected Len to have a conniption fit, but Carrie Ann beat him to it instead.

Well, ok it wasn't quite that bad she just thought the prop was part of the dance for bit longer then necessary.

I'm actually inclined to agree with her, it seemed to detract from the routine. Their scores were fairly good 26/30.

Donny & Kym finished off the evening with one of my favourite dacades the 80's. An 80's Paso Doble to be precise.

The futuristic Paso was unique, this one was creepy verging on scary *lol*. And yet there was still something weirdly enjoyable about it *lol*.

The costumes were spot on. The scores weren't impressive however 24/30.

Landed them on the bottom along with Aaron & Karina and Joanna & Derek.

I'm not going to predict who goes this week, because I like them all too much to choose. Whoever does get the boot I'll be sad to see them go.

No comments: