Friday, March 27, 2009

Maura Tierney to star in new NBC adaptation


We'd heard that Dirty Sexy Money's Peter Krause was one of the most sought-after men this pilot season (and rightfully so), and he's finally chosen a project: NBC's adaptation of the 1989 film Parenthood. Krause will update the Steve Martin role, a married father with various neuroses. ER's Maura Tierney will play a version of Dianne Wiest's part, his single-mother sister with issues of her own. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Coach's Craig T. Nelson is in talks to play their dad (now a "Vietnam vet-turned-actor/hippie"), Let's Go to Prison's Dax Shepard is in negotiations to play their slacker younger brother, Mae Whitman (Diane Lane's daughter in Nights in Rodanthe) will costar as Tierney's wild teen, and Runaway's Sarah Ramos will be Krause's good little girl.

What are we thinking? Did Krause make the right choice? The show is from Friday Night Lights' Jason Katims, who will exec produce with Ron Howard and Brian Grazer (director and producer of the film) -- so the talent is there behind the scenes. An attempt to bring the movie to the small screen failed in 1990, but as I said when the pilot was first announced, the timing could finally be right: The kids who loved the film are now parents, raising children of their own, and either embracing or fearing the rollercoaster of life.

With the casting of Krause and Tierney, who I trust to know smart comedy (Sports Night, NewsRadio) and good drama (Six Feet Under, ER), I'm in. At least for one episode. Then, it depends on whether Shepard annoys me (I always expect him to, but then he doesn't), and how "hippie" they make Nelson look (not very, I hope).

Source: EW.com

I knew it wouldn't take Maura too long to find a new gig. Though I'm surprised she opted for yet another t.v. series. I guess the movie scripts weren't that great.

Haven't seen the movie the series is based on, but could be interesting. I hope it gets picked up it'll be nice to see Maura on my t.v. on a weekly basis again.

No comments: