Saturday, May 03, 2008

T: TSCC creator gives clues for S2

Found an informative interview with Josh Friedman the creator of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Here are a few bits that I found particularly interesting:


What I want to do this year is, within each episode try and tell fewer stories but tell them more in depth and so no one storyline is on the chopping block. That happened a lot to the high school stuff last year is that it was always a story line that we had going but it was never the highest priority, and when we're trying to decide between more Sarah or more high school intrigue, we always settled on more Sarah. So the high school stuff went away, because we rarely committed to it as a large block of story.



Glad to know the show will be more focused in the coming season. I don't disagree with Sarah being the focus in the slightest that was an excellent idea. In fact I hope it continues.

Because frankly as much as I enjoyed stories of John the student, there are only so many high school ones you can do before it becomes repetitive and too remenicient of other shows.



Speaking of that stuff, will we see Cheri again? (that was the mysterious girl at John's school)

Friedman: I think we'll see her a little bit.


Good to see they will be addressing that. I was wondering whether that character would be significant later on, now I guess we'll find out to what extent.

The plan never got into a lot of details. I always believed that in some version of the time travel theory I could bring Kyle Reese to the present day from the future and not upset the continuity of the previous movies. I had a whole way it worked in my head and the more I tried to explain it to people, the crazier it sounded.
Ok, I have to admit it sounds intriguing and I'm kind of curious as to exactly how it would have worked.

But, in the long run I think it's better that it was dropped much less confusing that way. Helps to avoid more possible bitching and moaning from the fans in regards to the time line lol.

Speaking of I think many of them will be very happy with this bit,

It's a coming of age year for John. Last year he was still a boy, and this year he's going to move towards becoming a man.


There you go folks, from the creator himself, John like every other teenager will become a man, all those constantly complaining about him acting like an annoying brat can now stop their griping.

You get so many questions about your allegiance to the Terminator movies, but the show is so clearly different. What influences your approach to this?

Friedman: I don't know if there's any particular influence. If you talk about things I watch or things that I read, I'm a huge Battlestar fan. I can sometimes only watch so much of it because it treads so close to certain topics.

I knew it!, is there any show that isn't influenced by BSG these days? lol. But seriously it's good to know that his influences come from one of the best written shows on t.v.

Oh, and I had to laugh at the Summer Glau comment, yes Josh you better not let her get away! LOL.

I also had the same mixed reaction when I first saw Brian Austin Green as Reece. After all it's often hard for any actor to avoid being type cast into playing a character (especially if you've played one for 10 years!).

But he really is doing an awesome job on this show, his portrayal and believability of the character has definitely helped the show and I'm so happy he's going to be a regular.

I'm also really glad they nixed the idea of bringing in the original Dr. Silberman, as fun as it would have been to see him make a cameo, it really would have detracted from the current universe as the creator himself mentioned.

Read the article in it's entirety here.

No comments: