Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Roger Federer says he's a 'totally normal guy not- Mr. perfect'

Roger Federer is firmly established as one of the world's most popular athletes, but he says he isn't under pressure to keep up that image.

The 18-time Grand Slam champion has gained a huge following for his pleasing game, sportsmanship and accessible personality, yet he describes himself as just another normal guy.

"It's not a burden," he said in an interview with Tages Anzeiger and German-speaking reporters to promote his scheduled appearance in Stuttgart. "I can, happily, be myself. The picture is also distorted. Everyone thinks [that] because I have success, everything is wonderful.

"But, also, I am constantly working to improve myself. Whether it's organization, the father of a family, a tennis player."


Federer added that fans have gotten to know him as a player and a public figure, though he is quite private away from the courts.

"Happily, I give many interviews, where I can be normal,” he said. “People can feel, ‘This is not Mr. Perfect. This is someone who is totally normal.' It's nice that I have such a good image. But it is primarily around sport."


tennis.com

No comments: