Friday, January 01, 2016

Roger Federer shares 2016 outlook before start of Brisbane International

After claiming six ATP World Tour titles and compiling a 63-11 record last year, defending championRoger Federer will start his season in Brisbane for a third consecutive year.

“It’s an absolute pleasure to be back in Brisbane,” Federer said at the launch event for the Citycat Transport system. “I had a wonderful last two years here and was not going to miss it again as long as I am playing tennis. My family really enjoys it here and the people are super friendly. They love their tennis here in Brisbane.”

Federer fell to Lleyton Hewitt in the 2014 finals during his first trip to the Australian city, then captured the title in a milestone match against Milos Raonic in 2015.

“Winning my 1000th match here last year was thrilling,” added Federer, who used the tournament win as the starting blocks of a season which saw him finish No. 3 in the Emirates ATP Rankings. “It was so fitting to do it in the final with Roy Emerson and Rod Laver there.”

“I had a great season last year, playing aggressive tennis,” noted Federer, who turned heads with a new return strategy in 2015, stepping deep into the court to take on his opponents’ serves. “Of course, players adapt so we will see how aggressively I can play this year. I’ve been playing really well for a year and a half now, since I came back from my back injury. That’s been very encouraging. With age and experience, I know where I am and I feel like I’m in a good place. It’ll be an interesting year, with a lot of young guys trying to make a move.”

Beyond on-court results, the Swiss would like to continue to find a happy medium between work and family in 2016.

“For me, it’s more about family when it comes to New Year’s Resolutions,” said Federer, a father of four who frequently travels with his children. “I want to be a good dad, be patient with my kids and enjoy life as long as I can.”

atpworldtour.com


No comments: