Monday, June 15, 2015

Roger Federer ready for Gerry Weber Open title #8 in Halle Germany

Seventeen-time major winner Roger Federer said he is still benefitting from the confidence gained from his 2014 grass-court campaign.


Roger Federer said he could not believe how successful he was in the 2014 grass-court season, ahead of embarking on this year's Gerry Weber Open.


Federer became a seven-time winner in Halle after successfully defending his 2013 crown last year, and is eyeing a three-peat as he builds towards another Wimbledon campaign.


Speaking ahead of a first-round clash with local hope Philipp Kohlschreiber, Federer said he was in awe of his own form on the surface on which he has won seven majors at the All England Club.


Federer could not quite make it eight SW19 titles in 2014, losing the Wimbledon final in five thrilling sets to Novak Djokovic.


Regardless, he is confident ahead of his 2008 Halle final rematch against Kohlschreiber.


"Of course I'm surprised at how well I played here in Halle and also in Wimbledon last year," top seed Federer said.


"I never thought that I could ever play so well in my career on grass.


"It was always a dream to play such good tennis on grass or even be able to play on a grass court.


"Where I grew up, there was only sand, carpet or dirt. So a grass court was always a dream.


"Of course at this stage of my career I want to have the perfect preparation for Wimbledon.


"That means a victory here. I want to defend the title in a tough field of competitors. That's exactly what I need right now.


"I've been playing great for the last 12 months.


"I had the feeling that everything went well after I played at Halle last year, except in Australia where it didn't go so well.


"But I was confident everywhere else, so I hope I can play well here."


Kohlschreiber has never beaten Federer in eight career meetings, four of which have been on grass - three at Halle alone - but the German did win the title here in 2011.



A potential grudge match awaits Federer in the second round, as the Swiss could face Sergiy Stakhovsky - the Ukrainian who stunned Federer at Wimbledon in 2013.


Kei Nishikori is the second seed in Germany, and faces Dominic Thiem in the first round.


Third seed Tomas Berdych is up against Victor Estrella Burgos, while fourth seed Gael Monfils will take on Lukas Rosol.

No comments: