Monday, April 20, 2015

Martina Hingis defeated by Agnieszka Radwanska at Fed Cup in Poland






She stayed close with her for a long time, pushing the opening set about as close as possible, but Martina Hingis' first singles match in almost eight years ended in defeat to Agnieszka Radwanska.

Playing the first match of the World Group play-off tie between Poland and Switzerland, Radwanska and Hingis dazzled the Polish crowds with their classic all-court games in the first set, Radwanska drawing first blood with a break for 3-1, then Hingis breaking back right back to get back on serve, 3-2. Radwanska broke again for 5-3, then Hingis broke right back again to get back on serve, 5-4.

And it looked like Hingis was cruising in that 4-5 service game, storming out to a 40-0 lead and, after losing the next three points, winning the deuce point for ad-in, and another point to hold. But Radwanska won another three points in a row from there to sneak out the 49-minute set, 6-4, and from there the floodgates opened, as the Pole ran away with it in the second set to close it out, 6-4, 6-0.

"I can be proud of the way I played," Hingis said. "I think it was a great first set. I definitely had my chances in the set, at least to equalize and maybe even win one. I was getting a little bit tired at the end of the first set, but I'm proud of my performance today, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow."

Hingis, a former World No.1, was asked what's separating her singles game from the top players.

"The only problem is the physical part. That's what it always was, even when I was playing singles and doubles on the pro tour. I feel like I definitely have the game to hang on with the best in the world, and especially Aga, as she's not a power player who kills you off the serve or first return, or hits bombs right and left. You feel like you can always match up with her game, and I felt like I was right there.

"But she doesn't give you a single point for free - that's what makes her a great Top 10 player."

Radwanska was very impressed: "I had the break twice and things turned around both times, and she had 40-0 to hold for 5-all, so things were very dangerous," the World No.9 said. "The last game of the first set was key. I'm glad I could play my best tennis in that game because that was very important.

"I think she could definitely still play singles. She's already done so much on the tour in singles, so that's why I think she's just enjoying doubles right now, but she could definitely still play singles."

Radwanska also throroughly enjoyed the match: "You could see everything in that match - a lot of rallies, a lot of running, drop shots, spins, slices. It's always enjoyable for me to play against players like her. I'm just very happy I could play a very good game today, and win the match in two sets."

Timea Bacsinszky levelled the tie at 1-all afterwards with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Urszula Radwanska

No comments: