Sunday, November 16, 2014

Roger Federer withdraws from Barclay's ATP World Tour Final with back injury :(



Roger Federer has pulled out ahead of the championship match at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals due to a back injury. The six-time former season finale champion made the announcement to fans on Sunday at The O2 in London following the doubles trophy ceremony.

Novak Djokovic, his opponent in Sunday’s final at The O2 in London, will play a pro set (first to eight) against Andy Murray. The Briton will then team up with John McEnroe in a doubles exhibition match against Tim Henman and Pat Cash.

"Unfortunately, I'm not match fit to play the match tonight," said Federer on court. "Clearly I wish it wasn't so. I tried all year to be ready for the [Barclays] ATP World Tour Finals, and I didn't want it to end this way. I tried everything I could last night, also today – painkillers, treatment, rest, so forth, warm-up, until the very end – but I just can't compete at this level with Novak. It would be too risky at my age to do this right now and I hope you understand.

"I wanted to come out personally and excuse myself. It's been a great week for me. I played some great tennis and I love coming to The O2 and to London, and there's been so many great memories for me here. Congrats of course to Novak, who’s played an amazing season, and an amazing tournament here as well. I hope we can play some more great matches, hopefully next year.

"Thanks to all you guys for making it special to come out and play tennis all around the world. I know you guys travel, as well, and spend a lot of money on tickets and so forth. We really, really appreciate it – me in particular. It keeps me going, it makes me tick, especially at this age. Hopefully, I can come back next year and get another chance to compete for the title here. So thank you very much and I'll see you soon. I appreciate it."

It is only the third time in Federer’s career that he has been forced to withdraw, each time due to a back injury – also walkovers at 2008-Paris QFs vs. Blake and 2012 Doha SFs vs. Tsonga.

The last walkover in an ATP World Tour final was on 2 February 2008 in Vina del Mar, when Fernando Gonzalez won the title over Juan Monaco, who withdrew due to a left ankle injury. The last walkover in a season finale match was at the 1981 Masters in New York when Ivan Lendl got a walkover versus Jose-Luis Clerc in round robin play. This is the first walkover in a final in the tournament’s 45-year history.

Djokovic is the first player to win three straight season finale titles since Lendl from 1985-87. The only other player to win three straight year-end titles was Ilie Nastase from 1971-73.

barclaysatpworldtourfinals.com


I am sorry to announce that I cannot play the finals tonight vs. Novak. I hurt my back late in the match yesterday against Stan. I am very disappointed and I hope to be feeling better soon.


It’s been an extremely difficult decision because I love playing in London and the ATP World Tour Finals have been an absolute highlight of my career. Unfortunately, my back problem does not allow me to play right now. I hope all tennis fans and those involved in the event will understand.

via Roger Federer's Facebook

No comments: