Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Roger Federer looking forward to 2015 despite injury

World No. 2 Roger Federer remained positive about his resurgence this year, despite not being fit enough to compete against Novak Djokovic on Sunday in the title match at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.

“I'm definitely looking forward to 2015,” said Federer. “It's been a great year for me this year. I played some wonderful tennis, very consistent [and] very physical as well.

“I was able to play very aggressive tennis, which was actually a lot of fun to do. It was not just an idea I had. It was something I tried to pull through with, and I was able to do that on faster and slower courts. I feel like it's going to give me extra opportunities next year again.”

His decision to pull out ahead of the title match at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, represented only the third time he had given an opponent a walkover (each time he withdrew due to a back injury.) He has played 1,221 singles matches (995-226) during his career.

“I was feeling great until yesterday's [third set] tie-break [versus Stan Wawrinka]. I felt all of a sudden the back was feeling funny. I tried to have treatment on it, medication on it, just tried to turn around as quick as possible really. But [I] didn't really feel that much of an improvement overnight. Probably, in a few days, it's going to be better, but right now it's not good enough.”

Federer, who joined forces with Stefan Edberg 12 months ago, has a 72-11 match record on the season, including five titles from 10 finals. The Swiss superstar congratulated Djokovic on clinching the year-end No. 1 in the Emirates ATP Rankings for the third time and also for a fine week at The O2 in London.

“I think he's played overall very consistent,” said Federer, who is a five-time former year-end No. 1. “I think he had to battle hard in the beginning of the season, not defending his Australian Open title. I think the big win for him came at Indian Wells, backing that up with Miami. That's when he was back in the race for World No. 1 and actually really attacked it. I think Wimbledon was huge, also for me.

He won those big matches really.

“I think he was most consistent overall. Being most consistent, winning the biggest titles, that's what he's done this season. He played great. He deserves to be where he is now.”

Federer will now attempt to regain full fitness in time for next week's Davis Cup final in Lille, when Switzerland attempts to capture its first trophy against France.

No comments: