Saturday, September 13, 2014

Roger Federer & Stan Wawrinka give Switzerland the lead in Davis Cup

SWITZERLAND 2, ITALY 0
Venue: Palexpo, Geneva, SUI (hard - indoor)
Switzerland is one win away from reaching the Davis Cup final for the first time since 1992 after Roger Federer and Stan Wawrinka both recorded straight-sets wins on Friday in Geneva. The host nation leads Italy 2-0 after Federer defeated Bolelli 7-6(5), 6-4, 6-4 and Wawrinka followed up a with a 6-2, 6-3, 6-2 victory over Fabio Fognini.

Federer and Wawrinka have the chance to seal victory for Switzerland when they join forces in Saturday’s doubles. 

Victory marked Federer’s 36th Davis Cup singles win; his last defeat came in the 2012 first round against the United States’ John Isner. It was also his 600th hard-court win and an ATP World Tour-best 55th tour-level win of the season.

"I just stayed with him really," said Federer, reflecting on the first set. "I served well myself. It ended up going to the tie-break, which I thought was the right thing. In the tie-break, I really think I served well throughout. The margins were small in the first set. 

"In the second set I was finally able to get the break; that broke the deadlock for me a little bit. I was able to play with the lead which is always easier. I'm just happy overall how it went. It's important to get that first point and that was the most important part."

Wawrinka clinched his 20th Davis Cup singles win as he fired 16 aces converted six of his nine break points to defeat Fognini in 90 minutes. The 29-year-old Wawrinka improved to a 4-1 lead in his FedEx ATP Head2Head series with Fognini.

No comments: