Monday, September 08, 2014

Roger Federer disappointed with loss at U.S. Open semis, but hopeful for the future

Roger Federer says that falling just short of claiming an elusive 18th Grand Slam title for the second major in a row won't haunt him, but he would be more than happy to add to his record haul in 2015.
After bowing out to Marin Cilic in the US Open semi-finals, following his five-set loss in the Wimbledon final to Novak Djokovic, the second seed reflected on what it would mean to keep adding Grand Slam hardware to his trophy case.
“It would mean a lot. I keep working hard to win titles on the tour, not just No. 18. I was very happy to get to No. 80 the other week, so that was huge for me.
“I’ll give it a go again in Australia; I hope to be healthy there. I enjoy playing there. It's been one of my most consistent Slams. I hope to get another chance at it. I can't do more than try really hard, which I'm doing.”
The five-time US Open champion plans to spend little time lamenting his loss to the Croat, whom he credited with playing “old school tennis” in their battle in Arthur Ashe Stadium on Saturday.
“It was just full swing from all sides: forehand, backhand, serve, return. No holding back from his side. I just couldn't hang with him for long enough to create some doubts in his mind," said Federer.
"I'm just really disappointed, after how well I have played this season, especially here at the tournament. I really felt like I could win this tournament," added Federer. "[But] in tennis, there are so many highlights, so I have something to do next Friday already [Davis Cup]. I'll be very preoccupied with that starting right now."
The World No. 3 heads to Switzerland to represent his home country in a Davis Cup World Group semi-final tie, against Italy.
“And after that I'm going to hopefully play a good end to the season. I don't know exactly where I'm going to play yet, but I'll definitely play the indoor season at the end of the year," said Federer. "I’ve qualified for the [Barclays ATP World Tour Finals], so that's on my mind as we go along.​“
Roger is taking this better then me, I'm still too disappointed for words. 
Perfect draw, no Nadal (and no Djokovic in the final).  Yep gonna take a while to get over this one!.

No comments: