Saturday, June 07, 2014

Why I want Novak Djokovic to win on Sunday

Before you say anything, I would just like to make one thing clear. I love Rafael Nadal, I have great respect for the player and the man, because he is without question the most polite world no.1 we have ever seen. For each of his six matches this year at Roland Garros, I was delighted that he won. And I’m sorry to annoy the countless Rafa fans among you, but I can’t help hoping that Novak Djokovic wins the title.




Why? Well, quite simply because Nole deserves it, for a start. Like Andre Agassi and Roger Federer before him, he could complete his Grand Slam collection at Roland Garros and enter the hallowed halls of those who have won them all. Let’s be honest: the Serb would have done it long ago if he hasn’t been born into a generation with two exceptional champions – Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, competing for the title of the greatest player in the history of tennis. Djokovic isn’t quite at their level, but his talent, his style of play and the work he has put in to get to where he is make him worthy of raising the Coupe des Mousquetaires.



Djokovic is the only one to have caused Nadal to stumble at Roland Garros. He was even a break ahead in the fifth set of their incredible semi-final last year. Though I have no intention of taking anything away from Soderling’s victory in 2009, don’t forget that at that time, Rafa’s knees were not at their best. Djokovic has also beat Nadal four times on clay, a feat which no one else can claim. And Djokovic is good for tennis. A win for the Serb at the French would be a win for tennis.




I’m not saying that a ninth victory for Nadal would be bad for tennis, but a first for Djokovic at Roland Garros would have a greater impact. It would be seen by tennis fans as a major achievement, and rightly so. As he said himself, Nole is facing his greatest challenge: attempting to defeat Nadal on clay, over five sets. If he does it, it could be a match for the history books. He could succeed where Federer has failed.




Djokovic also has a very appealing personality. Some say he overdoes it, but I am certain that his words come naturally. He makes an effort to speak in French, he is expressive on the court, he is good-natured in front of the microphone, and he is a natural entertainer.


The video of him chatting with a ball boy during a rain break has been seen all around the world. I really think that Nole is a nice guy. He’s a great tennis player and a battle-hardened champion who has not shied away from self-criticism. He is always trying to progress, even after he became world No.1, opting for a gluten-free diet for example or with his interesting choice of hiring Boris Becker. 

So sorry, Rafa, but if you lose on Sunday for the second time in your career at Roland Garros, I’m afraid I won’t be shedding any tears!


rolandgarros.com

I couldn't have said it better myself!.  Go Nole!.

No comments: