Sunday, June 29, 2014

Martina Hingis ready for more World Team Tennis

Teams in the Mylan World TeamTennis league were salivating last summer when Martina Hingis’s name was among those available in the 2013 roster draft. After having played the previous six seasons for the now-defunct New York Sportimes, the star was suddenly within reach.


After all, she is a tennis legend. Hingis spent 209 weeks at No. 1 during her professional career, sadly cut short when ligament injuries in both ankles forced her to withdraw temporarily from professional tennis in 2002 at the young age of 22. In her career, the now-33-year-old won five Grand Slam singles titles (three Australian Opens, one Wimbledon, and one U.S. Open), nine Grand Slam women’s doubles titles, and a host of other championships.


The Washington Kastles acquired her rights and in her first season with the team, Hingis continued being a popular and powerful force in World TeamTennis. It’s a league she is happy she joined.


“When you play for a team, it’s a lot easier,” Hingis says. “You travel together, train together and there’s always a lot of energy. It’s kind of like the Musketeers—we are all for one and one for all, and I have played with some great individuals on my teams.”


In her first season with the Kastles, Hingis had a record of 42-18 in singles play, 47-39 in women’s doubles, and 47-32 in mixed-doubles, helping the Kastles to a first-place finish with a team record of 14-2 and a threepeat as WTT champions and King Trophy winners.


“Being on a winning team is always cool, and I am looking forward to getting back and playing with pretty much the same team as last year; now that I know everyone, I think things can only get better,” she says. “I always want to win wherever I am playing.”


Hingis understands that she is not just playing for herself and her team, but for all those who come out to support her.


“Being in DC has been wonderful, the fans are great and every night we are playing in front of a full house,” she says. “When I play, I play for the people of the city and they welcomed me with open arms.”


For her dynamic 2013 play, Hingis was named Mylan WTT Female MVP of the league for the second straight year.


“I’m proud about being able to last and play so well with the Kastles,” she says. “This year I hope to do even more.”


The Kastles play their first home game on July 9 against the Boston Lobsters. Hingis is expected to partner with Leander Paes, who she teamed up with for part of 2013 for doubles play.


“I want to play more double matches and help the team out there, too,” Hingis says about her upcoming season. “I think this year Leander and I know each other’s strengths and weaknesses much better. He is a dream partner to have and play with. You could see us get better throughout last season and that should continue as we play more.”


Hingis calls Washington Kastles coach Murphy Jensen a “great motivator” who delivers a new, creative speech every night to get the team pumped.


“He’s a great strategist as well,” she says. “If someone doesn’t feel that great one night, we still have three other people to push you out of the hole, and lift you up again. [Coach Jensen] has all of us fighting for each other, which I love.”


When not playing for the Kastles, Hingis is playing doubles with Sabine Lisicki, whom she is also coaching. Together, the pair has a record of 6-3 at major events this year, including winning the Sony Open doubles title in Miami this March, Hingis’ first championship since 2007.


“With coaching, I don’t have as much time to play myself, so I am playing more now to prepare for the upcoming season so I am at 100 percent,” Hingis says. “Sabine will be playing Madrid and Rome soon and I will have some days to practice in between. I know I’ll be ready.”


ontaponline.com

No comments: