Saturday, April 05, 2014

Martina Hingis: 5 things I can't live without

Former world number one and the winner of five Grand Slam tennis titles, 33-year-old Martina Hingis lives in Switzerland


1 HORSES


I started riding when I was 11 and from the moment I got in the saddle I was spellbound. Horses are such graceful creatures but they are also wild and powerful which I love.

When I was playing professional tennis I would always go for a ride after a big match. Escaping into the countryside on horseback was an antidote to all the noise and stress of competing.

I have three horses which I adore. I still ride whenever I can and I have become passionate about racing too.

I recently went to Ascot which was very glamorous and great fun.

2 COLUMBO


When I was a teenager my mother Melanie and I loved watching detective series together.

Our very favourite character was Columbo, the rather shambolic homicide detective with the Los Angeles police.

He was so unconventional that you couldn’t help liking him. What was different about the show was you always knew who the murderer was, you just had to figure out how or why they did it.

To this day I still love detective series.

No matter where you are in the world and how basic your grasp of the language, the format is always the same: a dead body, a motive and a murderer.


3 TENNIS


The game has always been a huge part of my life.

Both my parents were professionals and I was on the court hitting balls from the age of three. My mother was very ambitious for me and named me after Martina Navratilova.

From an early age it was obvious I had talent but when I look back I can’t quite believe what I managed to achieve during my career.

I still play in exhibition matches so I think tennis will always be a central part of my life.

4 CINEMA


There is nothing I like better than a night out to see a film with a group of friends.

I have a holiday home in Tampa, Florida, where the cinemas are amazing. Sometimes there are 20 or so screens and you can see just about anything you want.

Recently I have seen some absolutely incredible films.

Philomena with Judi Dench was great and moving. I also loved the Jennifer Aniston comedy We’re The Millers, which was hysterical.

Normally I am pretty strict about my diet but when I am at the cinema I always indulge in a bucket of popcorn and a giant soft drink. As far as I’m concerned it’s all part of the experience.


5 SKIING


I own a ski chalet in St Moritz and in the winter I will often decamp there for weeks.


I have never been a reckless skier and I don’t try to be the fastest either. I love being in the open air surrounded by all the beautiful scenery.

I am a very active person so I can struggle with a beach holiday.

Last year I went to Mauritius with some friends and by the end of the week I was so bored that I organised a huge beach football match between the staff and the guests at the hotel.


express.co.uk

No comments: