Sunday, March 23, 2014

Roger Federer happy and confident with his new raquet

Speaking to reporters at the Sony Open in Miami, Roger Federer dished a bit on his newer, larger-framed racquet, saying that he's really taken to the new stick.


I feel I do have easier power,” Federer said in a pre-tournament press conference today. “It's actually a big switch, bigger than people think it is, because it's a much bigger head frame, it's wider beam, and I really enjoy this new racquet. I think it's definitely also part of the reason that I am playing so well right now.”


Still, Federer, who reached the finals of last week's BNP Paribas Open, is quick to admit that without fitness, the racquet means nothing. “No, I mean, clearly you've got to be healthy to be able to play good tennis and get to the balls,” he said. “If you're not going to get to the balls, then you won't be able to hit it and then the racquet doesn't matter.” But, Federer added, he is getting to those balls.


“I need the quick feet, and I think I found that again,” he said. Federer, who is still in the early days of his newfound player-coach relationship with Stefan Edberg, also said he expects less opportunity to move in and attack the net on Miami's slower courts and heavier conditions.


“Indian Wells is the first one that's more slower,” Federer opined. “Then here in Miami, this is going to be the slowest of the year so far. So it's definitely going to be a little bit of an adjustment for me, as well. “But I think it's more because of the surface I have been playing more aggressive.


Already last week I haven't been able to come to the net as much as I wanted to. That's something I need to make sure I work on, that I do keep an aggressive playing style from the baseline. But you also have to be able to grind away because that's going to anyway come about when clay court season comes.”


Federer will open his bid for a third Miami title against Ivo Karlovic in second-round action. He has not reached the final of this event sine 2006, when he won his second consecutive Indian Wells-Miami double.


tennisnow.com

No comments: