Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Kristen Flipkens grateful to Kim Clijsters after quarter final win at Wimbledon


Nobody was happier than Kim Clijsters after Kirsten Flipkens pulled off a stunning quarter-final victory at Wimbledon 2013 on Tuesday.

Clijsters has known Flipkens throughout her career and after her retirement at the 2012 US Open, she has been helping her friend since December. And after Flipkens clinched a 4-6 6-3 6-4 victory over Petra Kvitova in her Centre Court debut, Clijsters could barely contain her emotions.

Flipkens was equally teary eyed in her press conference when describing the difference Clijsters has made to her career.


"It means so much to me," she told reporters.

"She's in America, but she's been there for me through the good and through the bad times. Of course, I have to thank her for still believing in me. I'm practicing at her academy. [Also] winning on my mom's birthday makes it even more special."

Flipkens has gone through plenty of tough times throughout her time on the circuit and it's incredible that she's still playing after suffering a near career-ending back injury in her first year on the professional tour.

"All doctors said my career would have been over normally," she added.

"But I'm just the kind of person that doesn't like to break, and I keep on fighting back every time."


Could she be the next great Belgian in the making?.  Hope she pulls through to the final.

No comments: