Thursday, January 03, 2013

WTA player thanks Martina Hingis for pre-season preparation


ANASTASIA Pavlyuchenkova credits a pre-season with Martina Hingis in Paris for the newfound ability to tame her emotions which saw her advance to a Brisbane International semi-final on Pat Rafter Arena today.
The Russian will meet "lucky loser" Lesia Tsurenko after both recorded upsets in the quarter-finals.

Tsurenko, who failed to qualify but then received a call-up to the main event to replace injured world No.2 Maria Sharapova, cruised to a comfortable 6-3 6-4 victory over world No.32 Daniela Hantuchova.

Pavlyuchenkova found the going tougher, fighting her way to a 7-6 (7-3), 7-6 (7-3) victory over world No.6 Angelique Kerber.

It was the second seeded player after Petra Kvitova that Pavlyuchenkova has knocked out this week.

The most pleasing aspect for the world No.26 was her ability to stay cool after watching a 6-0 lead in the final set tiebreak evaporate to 6-3, before she steadied to take the match.

It was an opportunity she may have failed to grasp in the past.

"I'm working on my metal game because I am such an emotional person," Pavlyuchenkova said.

"I have a lot of matches lost because of my emotions, I get upset or excited.

"I am trying to stay more calm."

A major factor was the influence of former world No.1 Hingis, who worked with her at the Mouratoglou Tennis Academy in Paris, where Serena Williams also spent time.

"She (Hingis) has definitely been helpful. We hit a lot together and played some games," Pavlyuchenkova said.

"But I think it is the fact that she is a woman also. I think women and men's mentality is different, especially on the court, and it was interesting for me to hear how she felt during matches and what she was going through.

"It was a very interesting pre-season, she is very passionate and she loves tennis."


heraldsun.com.au

No comments: