Thursday, January 17, 2013

Roger Federer moves into Aussie Open 3rd round

MELBOURNE — Roger Federer and Serena Williams showed there was plenty of life left in their relatively old legs by easing into the third round of the Australian Open on a day when sweltering heat tested the stamina of thirtysomething and teenager alike.

Sunscreen and icepacks were the order of the day on Thursday as temperatures hit 40 degrees Celsius in the late afternoon but 31-year-old Federer was coolness personified in the early evening as he dismissed Nikolay Davydenko 6-3 6-4 6-4.


Federer, chasing an 18th major title here, will next face 20-year-old Bernard Tomic and the Swiss, who needed a fraction under two hours to beat Davydenko, was quick to warn the Australian that he was probably fitter than 10 years ago.
“I’m much more experienced today. I know what I can expect from myself in terms of my level of play early on,” the second seed said.
“I’m much stronger today physically clearly so I can always rely on that as well, extend the rallies, so don’t have to be worried about that.”
nationalpost.com

Most exciting thing about this match?.  The pink shoes ;D


No comments: