Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Martina Hingis to participate at AEGON International exhibition in June


Former Wimbledon champions Martina Hingis and Conchita Martinez will make a return to the court at next month’s AEGON International after confirming their entry into the Father’s Day exhibition match at Devonshire Park.


Hingis and Martinez, who won singles titles at The Championships, Wimbledon in 1997 and 1994 respectively, will join Greg Rusedski and Mark Philippoussis in a special legends match on Sunday June 17.


Rusedski and Philippoussis will lock horns in a singles match before pairing up with Hingis and Martinez for a mixed doubles matchup. The matches are part of a packed week at the AEGON International which takes place from 16-23 June.


Five-time Grand Slam champion Hingis said: “I have special memories of playing on the grass from my career and I’m looking forward to playing on the Devonshire Park courts.”


Martinez, a runner-up at Eastbourne in 2003, added: “I have played at Eastbourne many times before and I can’t wait to get back on court.


“I always enjoyed playing at Devonshire Park and I’m sure this year will be a great event.”

lta.org.uk

No comments: