Friday, July 15, 2011

Roger Federer & Martina Hingis teaming up for 2012 Olympics?

A bit obsessed with mixed doubles (and impressed with her current form), I asked Martina Hingis after the match Wednesday if she would consider coming back to the highest level of the game to compete for Switzerland at the 2012 London Olympics in mixed doubles with Roger Federer.  

And since I framed (and considered) it a hypothetical, I was surprised by her answer.
TDF: You're playing so well now, and there aren't really any other Swiss women near the top of the game at the moment...

Martina Hingis: (nervous laughter [she seems to anticipate just as well off the court as she does on it])

TDF: I was wondering--they're having mixed doubles at the Olympics next year, and someone who has had success in doubles in the Olympics is your countryman, Roger Federer...

Martina Hingis: (more nervous laughter)

TDF: Would you play in the Olympics with him, if he asked?

Martina Hingis: You're tricky, right? (Laughs) Well...he kind of was like, through the angles, he already, like, you know tried, a little bit? But I don't know...

TDF: He already tried to ask you?

Martina Hingis: Well...I don't know? Not him, personally, but...I mean, they asked that question...We're still a long way away, so...

TDF: But you're not saying no, you're open to it?

Martina Hingis: I don't know, I don't know...I'm not sure, because you have to really commit.  And I feel great right now, but, you know, it's still a long way to go, it's another year.

TDF: So just to be clear, someone from his team did ask you?

Martina Hingis: Yeah, they did.  But who knows...I mean, I would have to play some doubles before, or some mixed....who knows?
Ok, this would truly make the whole tennis world explode!.

And although I know it's way too early and I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, but I really hope this happens!.

It sounds like Martina knows more then she's saying so.....  we'll see. *crosses fingers*  for the Swiss dream team ♥♥.

You can check out the whole thing at thedailyforehand.com

No comments: