Sunday, July 03, 2011

Martina Hingis enjoys life on the WTT tour

Martina Hingis spoke on the phone Wednesday from Wimbledon, the tournament she lorded over when she was only 16 years old.

Already ranked No. 1 in the world, Hingis beat Jana Novotna in the 1997 Wimbledon final to become the youngest women's champion at the All England Club in the 20th century.

"It came very natural," Hingis recalled. "I think today that it was amazing, but at that moment, it's like, 'OK, I was meant to win.' It was almost normal. Now I think, 'Wow,' I was really young and I've changed so much."

The Swiss Miss' greatness has passed. Hingis, 30, is playing with Lindsay Davenport in Wimbledon's Ladies Invitation Doubles, which is mainly for retired players.

Hingis, who holds five Grand Slam singles titles, walked away from the pro tour four years ago after testing positive for cocaine at Wimbledon.

Now she's a seasonal player who will appear on July 18 and 19 as a member of the New York Sportimes in World TeamTennis matches at the University at Albany's SEFCU Arena.

"I love playing exhibitions," Hingis said. "I love playing tennis and being out there. This is really the season, two or three months, I'm playing almost every day, which is pretty fun."

This will be her second straight year playing in Albany. Hingis spent last summer with the New York Buzz, who merged with the Sportimes after the season. The Sportimes will play two home matches in Albany and five on Randall's Island in New York City.

"I love playing in Albany and playing indoors is my favorite," Hingis said.

Hingis and the Sportimes will face the Kansas City Explorers, featuring twin doubles players Bob and Mike Bryan, on July 18 at SEFCU Arena. The next night, she'll lead the Sportimes against Serena Williams and the Washington Kastles.

The two were supposed to face each other in Glens Falls last July. But Williams, who's won 13 Grand Slam singles titles, was reduced to a spectator by a foot injury.

"Playing Serena in Albany should be cool," Hingis said.

Hingis is embarking on a new chapter in her life after marrying Thibault Hutin, a French show jumper, last December. 

Besides her tennis skills, Hingis is a horsewoman who rides in show jumping competitions.

She will be eligible for the International Tennis Hall of Fame next year, five years after her positive drug test. 

Given a two-year suspension, Hingis insisted she was innocent but never returned to the tour.

Hingis was asked Wednesday if the drug issue could keep her from being inducted to the Hall.

"I think that's the past," she answered. "I don't really talk about this anymore. I don't really care because people remember who I was as a player. So I think this is not really important."

No comments: