Thursday, May 26, 2011

Kim Clijsters ousted out of Roland Garros in 2nd round!

Kim Clijsters made a huge effort just to play Roland Garros after an ankle injury, but on a cold, windy morning she lost her rhythm and confidence and was stunned by Dutch 20-year-old Arantxa Rus 3-6, 7-5, 6-1, in the second round.

Clijsters held a 5-2 lead in the second set, but her left-handed opponent dropped the gloves and began to nail the corners with searing ground strokes. And all of a sudden, Clijsters could not keep the ball within the court. Her serve lacked pace and direction, her forehand disappeared completely and she no longer had depth on her backhand.

Loss of control


While Rus flew with the wind, Clijsters looked like she had been flattened by a tornado. "I felt kind of in control, I felt like I was she was missing quite a lot in the beginning of the rallies, and I felt that I was moving her around well from side to side," said the Belgian who committed 65 unforced errors. "Then I started doubting a little bit. I think on clay is something that for me is definitely the wrong attitude to have. She obviously started building up more confidence, started playing a lot better and was really kind of putting me on my back foot all the time. I couldn't really play my aggressive tennis anymore in that third set."

Remarkably, the reigning US Open and Australian Open champion lost 11 of the next 12 games in a performance reminiscent of her blowout loss at the hands Nadia Petrova at the 2010 Australian Open. Clijsters said her injured ankle held up fine, but she is clearly rusty having played only two matches since last March. Despite bowing out early, she had no regrets about her decision to play in Paris.

"I'm happy that I gave myself the opportunity," said Clijsters, who let go of two match points. "It's better to try than not to try. That's kind of the attitude of a real loser. I gave it the best that I had and with my abilities that I had. So I definitely don't regret it."

For her part, the No.114-ranked Rus put her stamp on the tour for the first time. A former junior no.1, the young Dutchwoman showed agility and power off the ground and calm nerves in closing out the match. "This is for sure my biggest win," said Rus. "She's a real hero. Played fantastic tennis. I always liked to see her playing and to watch her matches, and, yeah, it was really, really nice that I played against her."



RolandGarros.com


Well, that was a very short lived victory wasn't it?.  Too bad I was really hoping Kim would make it at least into the second week.  

But to say I'm shocked would be a lie.  With not having proper preparation this was a distinct possibility.  But with Kim like the Williams sisters you believe she can do it anyway.  


Oh well, onward to Wimbledon.  I'm thinking the ladies winner will either be Sharapova, or last year's defending champ Francesca Schiavone.  


Good thing all my favourite guys are still battling through.  Biting my nails in anticipation of Federers match tomorrow.  



No comments: