Friday, January 21, 2011

Roger Federer easily through to the 4th round of Australian Open

(CNN) -- Defending champion Roger Federer set a record for matches won at the Australian Open with Friday's third-round success over Xavier Malisse.

The 29-year-old secured a 6-3 6-3 6-1 victory over the Belgian to earn his 57th win in Melbourne and take him past previous record-holder Stefan Edberg.

World No. 2 Federer, a four-time winner of the event, said he was pleased to break Edberg's Open era record, but he admitted the retired Swede is still someone he looks up to.

"It's very nice, but he still stays my idol," Federer, who shares the record of five final appearances with Edberg, told the tournament's website.
    
The 16-time major champion -- also a record -- was happy with his performance following a testing five-set clash with Gilles Simon on Wednesday.

I'm happy I was able to come through it. It's surely not the easiest thing to come back after a five-setter, but I managed. I'm sure that another day of rest is going to do me good."

Tommy Robredo stands between Federer and a 27th consecutive grand slam quarterfinal after the unseeded Spaniard's 5-7 6-2 6-4 6-2 triumph over Ukrainian Sergiy Stakhovsky.

CNN

Well, I wanted an easy match, I think this one was so easily even Roger was bored *lol*.  Which explains a few uncharacteristic errors.  Nothing to worry about though. 

A nice practice session after the grueling 5 setter.  I expect him to get through the next round easily as well.

No comments: